IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Gbberellic acid and BIG OOPS!!
From: Susan B <honeybunny442 at yahoo.com> on 2009.08.05 at 17:23:27(19637)
Thanks for the info. It looks like you've been doing a lot of research/experimentation.

I do have to say I've purchased bulbs from the grower I mentioned (Pacific Callas) for many years, and have not have trouble with the bulbs. No dying of the tubers after flowering. Occasionally I get a "mutant" flower, but that happens even without hormonal treatment.

PC or Golden State bulbs are the biggest Zantedeschia grower and seller in the US, I don't think they'd stay in business if their bulbs/tubers died at the end of every growing season.

My knowledge comes from the fact that I've been growing and collecting Zants for many years.

Zantedeschia do need good soil, they aren't happy growing in peat alone. Florist pots are probably too small for the successful growing of a plant. Supposedly Z can be grown in a 6 inch pot but I've found they aren't happy in anything under a gallon size. They also like their bulbs and roots cool, while the foliage likes the sun. This is not easy to do with a potted plant. If the soil in the pot gets too hot, the plant will either not grow at all, or it may get stressed and develop soft rot/Erwinia.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.