IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] RIP my Titanums :(
From: Leon Karahalis <pirgosleonidas at yahoo.com> on 2009.08.06 at 22:18:11(19648)
Neil-

A couple of years ago I bought some amorph from Madagascar from a guy on Eb ay, "African Plants". It apparently had nematodes, because about 2 months after I planted it, they had gone out the bottom of the pot and into my 5 t itanums and eaten them completely.

If you have anything left at all of the affected/infected bulbs:

1. unearth them and clean them off thoroughly with a soft toothbrush and w hite vinegar.
2. Bring water, a pack of cigarettes (or butts) without filters and white vinegar to 140 degrees fahrenheit, NO HOTTER and not much cooler. Put them in this water. After the water cools, scrub them again with the soft toot hbrush.
3. While wet, coat them liberally with cinammon powder.
4. Throw out all of the old potting medium and sterilize the pots.
5. Replant, making sure that they get the appropriate amount of water -- n ot dry, but never "wet feet".

I got many of my amorphs back that way. Notice that this method is 100% or ganic. The vinegar, nicotine and heat kills them and the cinnamon gives th em a protective barrier.

Good luck!

Leon

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.