IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Philodendron crassinervium inflorescence]
From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.08.15 at 19:11:57(19732)
A big apology Tom! I didn't actually refer to my notes beforesending this Aroid l post and later learned the "boat shaped" mentionwas not from your field notes! Instead it came from Anna Haigh'stranslation of Kurt Krause' published synopsis from 1913 which can befound on CATE Araceae. The description fromKrause appears very different than the plate you sent. I've copied ithere:

Philodendroncrassinervium Lindl. sec CATE Araceae, 2009

Stem repent and scandent, internodes 5-10 cm long, 1.5-2 cm thick. LEAVES: Petiolesemiterete, 10-13 cm long, 5-8 mm thick, sheathed at the base for 2-3cm; Blade linear-oblong, or lanceolate-oblong, apex cuspidate-acuminatefor almost 1 cm, narrowly cuneate towards the base, 3-4.5 cm, rarelylonger, 6-10 cm wide; midrib swollen, ca. 1 cm wide at the base,strongly attenuating towards the apex; lateral veins slender,subparallel, spreading, ascending and joining near the margin. INFLORESCENCES: Peduncleslender, 10-15 cm long, 3-4 mm thick. Spathe boat-shaped, apex shortlyapiculate, tube 3-4 cm long, externally green, internally at the baselight purple, green-coloured towards the spathe-blade; blade shortlystipitate; female zone 5-6 cm long, 1 cm thick. Pistils ovoid, ca. 2 mmlong, 4-6-locular, locules many-ovulate. Male flowers usuallytriandrous. Berries turbinate [obconical], 4-5 mm long, 2 mm thick,white, stigma brown with 4-6 small lobes. Seeds oblong, pale.
Krause,K. 1913. Araceae-Philodendroideae-Philodendreae-Philodendrinae. DasPflanzenreich. 60 (IV.23Db): 1-143 p. 22, translated by A. Haigh.

I've added an explanation to the page: http://www.exoticrainforest.com/Philodendron%20crassinervium%20Philodendron%20lanceolatum.pc.html

Steve

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.