IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Advise in planting Arum seeds
From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2009.08.17 at 15:54:40(19735)
Greetings!

I grow many Arum species in the Great Central Valley of California. The Great Central Valley flora is nearly 70% non-native invasive plants, all from the Mediterranean or other Mediterranean climes. We have cool wet winters and dry hot summers. All my Arum species produce seed, and like Pete said, the fruits hang on for a long time. I have never seen any birds consume or collect the fruits (our scrub jays are collectors, hiding acorns and walnuts for later). If the fruit falls on the ground in summer where there is leaf litter, and afternoon and evening shade the it will germinate the following March, April or May. The native soils are clay loams with lots of alkali.

In pots I have also sown the fruits directly from the parent into loose, sandy soil (peat/sand/pumice) with lots of leaf litter or compost with the same result.

The species I have grown this way are:

A. dioscoridis dioscoridis

A. palestinum

A. palestinum (Mt. Carmel ecotype)

A. sintenesii

A. hygrophilum

A. italicum

A. cyrenaicum

I hope this helps,

Christopher

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.