IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Philodendron crassinervium inflorescence
From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2009.08.19 at 15:47:56(19751)
Dear Steve,

Aloha.

I have taken another closer look at Marcus Nadruz's photos of Philodendron lanceolatum, and this also looks different to me from Philodendron crassinervium. I am only relying on those small photos, so these may be artifacts of the photograph quality, but this is what I notice. First of all, the inflorescence is not hooded or cucullate, as the original description mentions. The color of the inflorescence differs, although, how taxonomically significant this is, varies. Second, it appears that the primary lateral veins of the Philodendron lanceolatum are prominent. Thirdly, and this is the difficult thing to confirm from a small image, is the petioles appear to be adaxially sulcate, with a sharp edge...this would make the petiole "C" shaped. I could be wrong, but, this is what I am seeing. If I am correct, perhaps Philodendron lanceolatum may be resurrected from synonymy from Philodendron crassinervium. Remember, I do not have any specimens to directly observe, so some of these details may be optical illusions.

Aloha,

Leland

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.