IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] P. XANADU hybrids??
From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.08.27 at 10:42:06(19860)
Dear Eric,

I would tend to doubt that any ''clones'' of P. xanadu are hybrids with P. bipinnatifidium, as they are such VERY different species, one to the other. 
I urge you to read both articles on P. xanadu published in Aroideana, plus the article by Dr. Goncalves on P. bipinnatifidium and how that species differs from P. mello-barretoanum, (in fact read ALL the articles on ALL species of Meconostigma in Aroideana), they will give you a better understanding on how to tell one species of Meconostigma from the other.
P. xanadu has scarlet/purple spathes, and fewer and MUCH smaller blooms which are differently shaped to the HUGE ''plantain-shaped'' blooms of P. bipinn., different scars from the petioles on the rhizome, VERY different leaf blades, etc., etc.  IF there was a hybrid, one could expect to see a certain amount of ''mixing'' of these features, I have seen none so far.

Julius

> Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 07:28:11 -0700
> From: leu242@yahoo.com

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.