IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] scale insect
From: Leslie Georgeson <skinnychick2 at yahoo.com> on 2009.08.31 at 22:00:32(19880)
Hi Sherry,

I had the same problem on my ficus trees after moving from California, though I had never encountered scales before in my life. They are a very frustrating pest to get rid of. I used an alcohol/water solution (per info I found via the web) and wiped/scrubbed clean every single leaf and stem, which was a painstaking process. The alcohol did not harm the leaves (not even the variegated ones). The scales disappeared and I thought I was rid of them. A couple of months later they were back. Interestingly, they have not spread to my aroids. They seem to prefer the ficus sap. At the time, I did not think to treat the soil, but I'm thinking about pouring a Neem oil solution into the soil (this worked for getting rid of mites on my giant philodendron, and I'm curious to see if it would work for scales). I too would be interested to hear if someone has an effective solution for getting rid of scale.

Leslie

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.