IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Scale Insects
From: brian lee <lbmkjm at yahoo.com> on 2009.09.03 at 14:29:09(19919)
Dear Sherry,

Aloha.

I use all natural or organic controls for pests. It is possible to control your scales using Orange Guard or if you are energetic...you can distill your own citrus peels. I have been using distilled citrus peels for all sorts of insects and it kills all on contact. You have only a few plants involved so control of your scales should be a piece of cake.

Read about the Cycas scale, Aulacaspis yasumatsui. That is the worst scale I have ever encountered. It kills the formerly iron-clad, Cycas revoluta and other types of cycads. That is the only pest I prefer not to deal with as I will not spray or treat my plants with more toxic chemicals. Orange Guard will work to kill this scale, but the infestations are so large and the scale so prolific, it would require constant applications. I had many dozens of Cycas revoluta on the border of my lot...now I have none. There is a biocontrol in Hawaii...a predator insect, but the numbers are too low at the moment for effective control.

Well, I would recommend the most benign solution to your problem before you resort to the "big guns".

Aloha,

Leland

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.