IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] ?? Water-loving Anthurium species
From: Devin Biggs <dbiggs at xantusidesign.net> on 2009.09.30 at 07:54:23(20095)
Thanks Adam, Those are good points. I have also found that certain emergent aquatics fail in oxygen-poor substrates. I have had good luck using fired
clay "kitty litter" gravels as substrate alternatives having a more coarse and open grain structure. A few plants that I grow, such as certain Spathiphyllum,
and Colocasia taros, seem to require even more oxygen and free water diffusion around their roots. For these I have used those round Hydroton clay
pellets, also with good results

An innovation that I learned about from aquarium hobbyists is "mineralized topsoil". This material is simple garden soil subjected to repeated wetting
and drying cycles in the warm sunshine, with the effect that all of its organic content becomes mineralized. The presumed advantage of this treatment
is that it will not begin to rot and spoil plant roots in wet, anoxic conditions as regular soil would. The nutrients are also more freely available to the
plant roots. I have tried this material a few times in combination with clay gravels and I also observed good results.

Cheers,

Devin

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.