IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] giant form A. paeoniifolius
From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.09.30 at 13:47:12(20100)
Dear Derek and Friends,

I recall a photo taken at Fairchild Gardens in Miami in an EARLY "Aroideana'' of our old friend Craig Phillips standing under the canopy of a leaf of what was labeled then as A. titanum, this was later  corrected, it was A. paeoniifolius.  Craig stood at LEAST 6' tall, and the canopy began to spread a little  OVER his head, so the petiole MUST have been about 6' 4" tall, maybe 5" in dia. at its base?
A couple/three years ago, at the Sept. aroid show and sale, I assisted Ron Weeks and others in hauling a HUGE tub with a GIANT plant of A. paeoniifolius from the rare plant house at Fairchild up and into the ''display hall'', this plant easily rivaled in size the one in the old photo, and, who knows, might even have been the SAME plant as was shown in the photo!
So--we know that a giant exists/used to exist at Fairchild, Scott USED to have a couple, and there were a few more hanging around in collections a few years ago.
I don`t know about the blooming of these giant plants, I`ll ask my buddy Bobby, he just MIGHT know, or maybe our resident expert Wilbert may chime in?
I USED to be able to purchase soft-ball sized A. paeon. corms at an Indian Grocery on Okeechobee Blvd. here in W.P.B. (I still get eddoes, Colocasia esculenta ''antiquorom'' there!), but I have not seen them available in a couple of years, I must ask the owner where he used to obtain them, they were VERY popular with folks from the S. India/Cylon areas, used seasonally at weddings/feasts, called ''suran'', also available cooked and in cans.
I hope that this helps!

Good Growing, all.

Julius

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.