IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] giant form A. paeoniifolius
From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2009.09.30 at 21:35:00(20111)

Having read about this“giant” A. paeoniifolius, I was intrigued, until I came to realize thatwhat I have, and the only form I have ever known, must be the giant !

Here are 2 photos Ijust took of a specimen in my garden. Leaning near it is a regular sizedwooden palette as used for the shipping of goods by sea.

I am 6 foot 2 ˝ inches(189.23 cm.) tall and I just stood next to the trunk and the canopy was aboutan inch above my head.

This specimen receivesfull sun for much of the day, and I have taller specimens growing in shade.None received any fertilizer and they volunteered where they are.

I obtained my cormsfrom the late John Brudy (John Brudy’s Rare Plant House) in Cocoa Beach, Floridain the 1970s.

The flowers are ofcourse very sizeable, approaching 2 feet across. The corms are about 18 inchesacross.

The trunk of thisspecimen is 4 ˝ inches near the base .

John.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.