IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Supervolute vernation. Finally a photo!
From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2010.01.16 at 14:51:28(20481)

Hello Don,

Look at these photos and imagine that the cord is a leaf in cross section, while the node is the midrib.

No. 1 shows the involute vernation, both halves of the leaf are rolled independently. This is observed in the genus Lagenandra, but not only, what confirms the photo of Amophophallus bulbifer leaflet unfolding involutely which I sent in the prevoius message.

No. 2 is the most common type of vernation in Araceae, it was depicted in the photo of Zantedeschia leaf I sent previously. as I know a little Latin, I would call it supervolute. "Super" means "over" "above". One half of a leaf is wrapped by the other half, the internal half remains rolled until the wrapping half unfolds.

One half is rolled clockwise, the other one is rolled counter-clockwise (looking from the midrib).

No. 3a, 3b, 3c is the problem. "Con" means "together". In this case both halves are in the same roll, paralelly unfolding in the same direction by contrast to the type 2. This is what I would call convolute, I haven't observed this in aroids yet, however it is possible.

Marek

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.