IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Anthurium blight
From: Jay Vannini <heloderma5 at hotmail.com> on 2010.01.16 at 18:37:58(20483)

One final clarification on control of aroid blight for those who did not catch this at the end of my first response...even at approved rates and concentrations Agri-mycin can be briefly but extremely phytotoxic to some ornamental aroids, esp. some specific anthurium spp. and cut flower types (the reason why it is not labeled for use on this genus in this region) and can burn leaves severely. For commercial growers this can be a deal-breaker for obvious reasons, but for hobbyists and BGs it is infinitely preferable to have burned leaves on your prized giant Anthurium superbum or A. veitchii for a year or so than to watch it succumb to aroid blight.

An old paper, but authoritative source: http://facultystaff.vwc.edu/~presslar/CultivatedAnthurium/PDF-Lib/BacterialBlightControl-No14.pdf The heads-up on not making this an everyday standby echos Surawit's earlier cautionary note about breeding blight resistance to antibiotics. I agree.

Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 13:35:09 -0600
To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
Subject: [Aroid-l] Anthurium blight

Thanks Jay.  My knowledge of this stuff is very limited but it did concern me once I began to read some of the info on the internet.  We see lots of poorly grown ornamental Anthurium in some of our local stores, often showing signs of what may be disease.  I have a relative that is a district manager for a large retailer and he says they throw away lots of plants as a result.  I just wouldn't want anyone to get the stuff in a prized collection.

Thanks again for the info.

Steve

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.