IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Tubers, corms and bulbs, oh my!
From: "Daniel Devor" <plantguy at zoominternet.net> on 2010.02.10 at 23:40:40(20566)

Not that I'm all that concerned with the exact botanical term that accurately describes the 'tater our Amorphs grow from, but surely we can all agree that if we unpot or dig up our Amorph species carefully it is not at all uncommon to see roots coming from other than the top of the underground thingy. I find it rather common for the long rhizomatous growths to have roots coming out all along them, at least when I pay attention. So, does this mean that the original description for a tuber posited below needs to be revised or we need to rethink what we call it? It seems the definition is not so simple for the botanists out there. Since I learned it as a tuber when I first got my original A. konjac many years ago I'm perfectly happy with that term, but it seems from the posts it is a bit of a hornets nest.

Dan

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.