IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Tubers, corms and bulbs, oh my!
From: "Wilbert Hetterscheid" <hetter at xs4all.nl> on 2010.02.11 at 15:54:44(20570)
My 2 cents of superfluous wisdom in this:

Tubers in Araceae are condensed stems with food-storage function. Such stems can also be elongate and creeping and then we call then rhizomes. In Araceae rhizome and tuber are two parts of a "continuum". One the one extreme are long creeping rhizomes with numerous long internodes. Condensaton of the internodes give us shorter rhizomes. Reduction of the number of internodes gives us shorter rhizomes (meaning mostly that the decay of older internodes is fast). We may find very short rhizomes (one or two internodes), which because they may be thicker than long, look "tuberous" (Typhonium). Also internodes may be way shorter than their width, which also gives the rhizome a kind of tuberous look (e.g. Arum). And then finally there's rhizomes that produce one internode in a season and at the same time devour the previous internode and they may also decide to grow vertically. That's what we see in e.g. most Amorphophallus and e.g. Sauromatum, several Arisaema. In these genera often few or more species are in fact fully rhizomatous, which goes to show how easily one state changes or reverts to another. In Amorphs there is even a fully genus-exclusive extra: the one-nodal-rhizome (we call tuber) may elongate vertically, not by creating extra nodes but by elongation of the one node present (A. longituberosus and like).

My opinion is that "tuber" in Aroids (and in many other families) is more of an "appearance" term, than a truely reliable systematic term. Aroids have stems, which may be creeping, food storing [but not always] and semi- of fully subterranean and then are called rhizome. The shape and structure of a rhizome may be so that it looks like a tuber (and my guess is that "tuber" is an ancient relict word for a food-bringing underground plant part, and as such a human-usage driven term).

So, a majority of Amorphs have an upright, subterranean, one-nodal rhizome and we call that a tuber. The best illustration of the "ancient" condition is in Am. coaetaneus, where a chain of swollen, "tuber like" nodes is present. This species has decided not to devour old nodes but keep them intact, so a chain of "tubers" develops (see IAS website under this species) and this chain is in fact again a full scale rhizome. But in the same genus we can also find "normal" rhizomes with many nodes and equally thick all over (A. rhizomatosus, A. hayi). The conditions are therefore evolutionarily interchangeable because they are several sides of the same medal (strange medal THAT is.........).

Cheers,
Wilbert

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.