IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Temperature requierements for Helicodiceros
From: Christopher Rogers <CRogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2010.02.24 at 15:56:49(20660)
Good morning, Bernhard!

For my plants, blooming seems directly tied to the previous season's nourishment. Plants kept in the shade never bloom. Plants in full sun give one bloom every other year. Plants in full sun given lots of good compost or fertilizer give one to three blooms per year. If a plant gives more than one bloom, it does not bloom the following year.

When a plant breaks dormancy and grows to blooming size, if it blooms, it typically goes dormant about a month later. If it does not bloom, then dormancy is postponed for a short while.The plant obviously needs a rest.

Blooming always occurs (for my specimens) in the spring, when temperatures have warmed up considerably..

I know that some people in subtropical climes have broken dormancy by putting the tubers in the refrigerator for a few weeks, then moved them in front of the air conditioner for a few weeks after that.

If you choose to experiment, I would be very interested in your results.

Good luck

Christopher

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.