IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Alocasia 'Black Magic'
From: Ferenc Lengyel <feri.lengyel at gmail.com> on 2010.04.29 at 09:33:33(20979)
Marek,

I am very sorry for your plant. I have no experience with this Alocasia, but if I were you, I would put one of the tubercules in a tray filled loosely with cleaned coconut peat, mist it and put it in a transparent bag with the top slightly open and mist it regularly to keep it slightlz moist. In this setup, air movement is provided by the open top of the bag.

The small insects must be fungus gnats. Here in Hungary they are belived to be a pest for plants in too moist conditions. But I personally think (and English speaking pages reinforce me) that they eat fungus and rotting roots, tubers, but not healthy ones. Though their presence indicates that there is some problem with your plant and adult can spread fungus spores. I think, you did the right thing. Just my opinion.

Ferenc

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.