IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Zamioculcas zamiifolia
From: Hannon <othonna at gmail.com> on 2010.12.03 at 07:27:45(21675)
Steve,

I will go over the longer text you sent shortly. In the meantime, it may help to conceive of the petiole as originating from the stem. The stem can be a twig on an oak tree or it can be a rhizome, etc. In Zamioculcas, as far as I can tell, the rhizome is tuberous (or tuberously thickened) and is similar to the rootstock of Gonatopus.. In both cases the rhizome is irregularly tuberous or swollen and ultimately the plant forms a compact clump with multiple growing points. However, the roots are not tuberous-- the "tuberousness" is in the rhizome. Plants with more orthodox tuberous roots include Dahlia, Chlorophytum and others.

Applying these concepts and terms is relatively straightforward in some cases but every form "in between" also occurs and it becomes very problematic to employ a precise terminology for rootstocks. I read a paper years ago describing the "tuber" of a Dioscorea and they described it as having features of both root and stem at the anatomical level!

Dylan

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.