IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[Aroid-l] Weevils
From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2011.05.24 at 01:48:30(22080)

Yesterday I was exploring a pond in which 100% of the surface was covered with Lemna sp. (I rarely bother to identify Lemnoidea to species). At the lower end, near the dam, there was also Wolffia sp. These two aroids formed such a solid layer that insects could treat it as dry land -- I actually watched a Pompillid wasp drag a paralyzed spider across the Lemna carpet. Looking closer, I saw that many of the Lemna fronds had circular or oval holes eaten in them. I also noticed some tiny weevils -- each one smaller than a Lemna frond -- walking about, and I presume these were the perpetrators of the herbivory. Has anyone studied these Lemna-eating weevils? This was in the Inner Coastal Plain of South Carolina, if that helps.

Jason Hernandez

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.