IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Aroideana mailing soon
From: Albert Huntington <balberth at yahoo.com> on 2011.07.19 at 07:47:24(22151)
Hi Vincent,

I'm afraid I don't know much about what may be happening with Aroid-L, that's more Steve Marak's territory, since he runs this list. Hopefully he can chime in.

I can, however, attempt to explain the deal with subscription periods. First of all, I apologize for the confusion.

Back before we were on the internet, when I was like ten years old, IAS subscriptions were for the calendar year ( ie: the year 2011, or the year 1985 ). If you applied in the middle of the year, we shipped you all the newsletters you'd missed for the year, and everybody's subscription expired together at the end of December. Lots of plant clubs worked
the same way, and it was familiar to people at the time. It made accounting easy, and made sure that everybody got the same number of issues of Aroideana and the newsletters, no matter whether they had subscribed at a slightly more or less advantageous time.

We never changed that system.

What it means practically now is that when you join, you get access to all back issues of the newsletter in the archive, you get access to the website and newsletters for *at least a year*, and you get *one* year of Aroideana, which is currently a single issue. Though your membership technically expires along with everyone else's at the end of December, and we'd really appreciate if people would renew near the beginning of the year, we don't kick anybody off the servers or the distribution lists until it's time to mail out Aroideana again for
the year. If you apply after we mail Aroideana, we ask you to specify which year you're applying for, and either send you the current issue or wait until next year.

I know this is not how a lot of things work, and it looks rather odd if you apply late in the year, but please rest assured that you'll get your years worth of benefits whether or not your membership is technically expired. And if you renew, it's not an issue - it would only effect those who are not interested in ongoing membership, if there were really any effect at all.

Hope this clears things us. We occasionally look into what it would take to go to a system based on when people sign up, but there are still some thorny issues with getting people the right number of publications if they sign up at a boundary, and it is really not a practical issue for anyone
since we do not actually expire people all that quickly.

--Albert

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.