IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Chirality
From: Christopher Rogers <branchiopod at gmail.com> on 2011.10.31 at 15:17:04(22240)
Greetings all,

I agree with Leland: Anth. wendlingeri is also my favorite aroid that spirals. When I had that plant prior to my move, I had many blooms, but I do not recall if the inflorescences all spiraled in the same direction or not. However, there was one bloom that started spiraling one way, then changed and spiralled the opposite direction!

Add to this my second favorite group of plants (after the aroids): Utricularia, the bladderworts. I used to grow U. prehensilis. This terrestrial species sends out long stems from the soil surface that tend to stick out at close to 45 degrees from the horizon. Over the course of the day they slowly swing in an arc. I the encounter a stem of another plant or a plant tag they coil around it. Some stems will then slowly uncoil and swing back in the opposite direction, again until the encounter an object, and again, they coil around it. So, here is an example of a plant that will coil both directions on the same stem.

Happy days!

Christopher

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.