IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Chirality
From: "Ertelt, Jonathan B" <jonathan.ertelt at Vanderbilt.Edu> on 2011.10.31 at 19:17:22(22246)
Although I also like Anthurium wendlingeri for the spiraling infloresences, I collected an Anthurium sp. in Costa Rica back in 1992 that I have not yet sent photos to Tom Croat for i.d.ing, but the whole plant spirals as it grows, at least growing on smaller (2-3” diameter) tree trunks. It’s a wonderful species, with more roots growing up and out onto the leaves then grow attaching to the tree trunk host – one of the best non-bird’s nest examples of the trash-basket root system I’ve ever seen. The inflorescence and spathe are both green initially, the spadix slowly going slightly more yellow. The fruits are light orange as they pop out, and somewhat quadrangular at the base. The leaves are wide sword-shaped, to almost two feet long on short petioles – that’s the best I can do without going and looking again at the plant for more detail. I’m doubtful that it’s a new species, though wouldn’t that be neat – but I do plan on taking some detailed pictures and sending them on before long. In any case, a wonderful spiral.

Jonathan

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.