IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Colour Pictures in Aroideana
From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2011.11.24 at 03:14:36(22391)
Actually, wouldn't that be even more complicated? Converting the colour photos to b&w for the paper issue would be an expense in itself. It would not work just to photocopy them with a b&w copier -- most of the quality is lost that way, and you end up with a nearly-illegible picture.

Oh, incidentally:
Marco wrote, "I have subscritions to many other plants related publication, AROIDEANA is the only one with B&W pictures!" Well, I do not know specifically which publications he has in mind, but since my subscriptions tend to be focused on scientific journals (i.e. primary literature), I find that very few have colour photos, except in those relatively rare cases where colour is necessary to illustrate a crucial detail. For example, in _Madrono_, the journal of the California Botanical Society, there are rarely any colour photos, even in taxonomic or new species papers. I think perhaps the difficulty we face here is related to what was mentioned earlier, that _Aroideana_ is one of the few publications to bridge the gap between scientists and growers. The two communities have very different needs.

Jason Hernandez

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.