IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Growing arums in pots
From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy at sbcglobal.net> on 2012.01.27 at 18:36:38(22542)
Dear Peter,

The problem with writing a book is that you now become the expert on that subject, even when you want to go on to other things. I hope you bear with me (us).

Your 1993 book, "The Genus Arum," lists 25 species. I read in the publication of Arum megobrebi (2007?) that there are now 29 species. I assume that numbers 26-28 were described in the 2006 revision of your book.

Is there someplace, other than the 2006 revision, that I can find those descriptions? How many species are there now in 2011, what are they, and how can I find descriptions?

Also, if I read your book correctly (ref. page 133), arum detruncatum, as shown in Vol. 30 - 2007 issue of AROIDEANA should have been labeled as arum rupicola, var. rupicola. Was that an error in AROIDEANA?

Again, I apologize for my inability to read "scientific stuff," but aren't Bedalov and Kupfer suggesting that A. cylindraceum and A. sintensii are species in their 2006 article "Studies on the Genus Arum" in Vol. 29 of AROIDEANA? Also, in their species charts, they seem to have omitted both A. alpinum and A. lucanum. If they are of the A. alpinum = A. maculatum school, as described in your book, then I can understand why they may have omitted it. However, you have listed A. lucanum as being from Southern Italy, so one would think that it should have been included in their charts?

So, just how many species are there now? What are they? Where can descriptions be found? And is a referee or umpire needed for taxonomists?

Thank you.

David Leedy, Arum Fervidus Novus

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.