IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Holes
From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2012.02.27 at 17:11:39(22632)
The difficulty I have with the "tropical storms" idea is that some fenestrated Monstera spp. occur in regions not subject to tropical storms, e.g. the premontane cloud forest of the Pacific coast of Ecuador. I will let growers address the matter of whether scandent Monstera with fenestrated leaves are any easier to pull away from the substrate than, say, scandent Philodendron with entire leaves.

I am not sure what you mean by "created." We may suppose that the primeval leaf was linear, like the branches of Equisetum or the needles of a conifer (think also of Lycopodium and Araucaria), and that the next evolutionary step was a broadening, so as to capture more sun. All the variations in leaves we see are developments in response to the requirements of different niches. The juvenile-stage leaves of a
Monstera probably approximate the ancestral leaves, in parallel with the way various organisms' embryonic development hints at their evolutionary stages.

Jason Hernandez

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.