IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Aroids on my Mind
From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2013.06.12 at 14:28:15(22807)
Thank you, Conrad. Incidentally, how are those Aroids I brought you from Ecuador doing?

Actually, I think the Anthurium I have been seeing is the A. crenatum you mentioned -- I am in the lowlands, and in these relict trees standing in pastures, I would expect only the hardiest epiphytes -- the same trees also have a purple-flowered Tillandsia (Bromeliad), several orchids (including a white Oncidium and Encyclia cochleata), a mistletoe-looking plant that I think is actually the cactus Rhipsalis, and of course ferns (including the ubiquitous Polypodium).

I am seeing the Dieffenbachia seguine, mostly in ravines. I didn't know the species, because it is the wild-type, plain green leaves, and I associate seguine with the variegated cultivated
forms. Also in the ravines is a big Xanthosoma, though it is less abundant than the introduced Alocasia.

When I get better established and start growing, I also intend to put in an edible variety of Colocasia -- one of my favorite edible tubers/chubas.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.