IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] What is it all about?
From: Jason Hernandez <jason.hernandez74 at yahoo.com> on 2013.08.07 at 20:12:27(22883)
I will offer my own perspective, as one who has maintained membership since 1998. I have always been more interested in the scientific or research side, and I have found the IAS to be a useful clearinghouse of who is working on what where. Also, I have published a couple of times in _Aroideana_, likely the only venue for such narrowly-focused work. I get excited every issue to see all the new species Dr. Croat is finding! Without being a member, I would have difficulty gaining access to any of this -- _Aroideana_ is not on JSTOR or Google Scholar.

As for the conference, I am just really down on my luck, or I would certainly attend; Viet Nam is a fascinating country. I did attend the symposium in Malaysia, met Peter Boyce and his Malaysian
colleagues, and visited really great aroid sites. It is doubtful I would have known about Malesiana Tropicals and their selection of unique aroids otherwise.

The simple explanation to "What's it all about?" is this: most scientists maintain memberships in societies pertaining to their professional lives; many plant fanciers like to have clubs related to their fancy; and the IAS happens to intersect both.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.