IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] What is it all about?
From: "Betsy Feuerstein" <ecuador10 at comcast.net> on 2013.08.07 at 15:32:44(22885)
Greg,

I am not the one to give you the answers to the specific questions you have asked. I can tell you that those who are involved in the operations of the organization do a great deal very quietly to make the International Aroid Society be the success it has been for over thirty years. It has been in the last ten years or so that the organization has branched out to pull in its board members and its officers from all over the United States and in some cases the world. It is very difficult in this day and age to have on site board meetings. I know there is a board meeting during the Aroid Show in Miami in September. All are welcome to come to that board meeting I feel certain. Few attend. Distance and time and expense certainly are involved in the on site meetings for those who wish to attend and those who are in official positions. Behind the scenes I know there is a great deal that is done via phone and internet. There are many who expend a great deal of time and effort on our behalf. If you have never attended the Aroid Show, it might be something you might like to do. The show is great, many plants are available for purchase and the camaraderie among others who love the aroids and plants in general is to be truly enjoyed. Dr. Croat is there to answer questions along with other experts. There is always a guest speaker at the banquet and the programs are really outstanding. There is an auction after the guest speaker where there are some really rare and very hard to find aroids up for auction. Come join us there.

Do not forget the two really fantastic publications that are offered to our members. Dr. Croat and Carla Kostelac with the Newsletter and of course, Dr. Derek Burch with Aroideana. These have become two very helpful and extensive publications on our behalf. There are others who assist with the publications.

I can assure you, that many on the board and not on the board spend hours and effort to make the Aroid Society as successful as it is. Perhaps if you have other ideas you might communicate with them to see if you can assist them with the ideas that you have for the society. These are times in our US culture where time and money is rather limited so what is done for us is greatly appreciated and rarely expressed. I thank you for this opportunity to thank them for all they do for IAS on our behalf.

You may think the board does very little but let me assure you, they do a great deal. To be honest, I did not know there was a facebook page. You demand answers in a way that feels very hostile. Hopefully that is a symbol of your frustration and not your intent. Do remember this organization has survived through many difficult times and unlike many other organizations has continued, not died. Many of the members are a great deal of distance from the Miami area where we started and where a great deal of our strength continues. Others are from far off places and still do for IAS.

I have attempted to point out to you that there are opportunities for you to be a more active member of IAS should you wish to do such. To be one who throws out questions in a way that I personally felt offended by, I felt the need to say to you, IAS has been around a long time without such a confrontory attitude. Perhaps communicate with our president for answers to your questions rather than express on this forum or ask in a less hostile sounding way here. Our dues are minimal. I know of a society right now that is going under and their dues were over $50 per year and they did not have a show at all. They had a really good bulletin……. But the costs simply overcame them. With our show and the profits from that, we have been able to continue IAS without a major dues increase. That is where the Miami group is the backbone of the show. It is not easy to put on a show of this scale and we owe them a huge bundle of gratitude for their efforts.

The opportunities are there for you to participate should you wish to but to demand answers and ways from my perspective is not the way to go about your harsh sounding inquisition. I know I have not answered your questions. Perhaps that is a weakness of the organization in that often answers are hard to come by. Perhaps that is the major issue in your request for information. Maybe someone on the board would be willing to privately answer your questions. Aroid-l is about plants and not the place for this kind of banter. If I am wrong, I feel certain others will chime in and tell me their opinions. Let’s try to have civil discussions and I do hope there are those who are in the know who will take a bit of time to answer your questions.

Now, let’s get back to our love of aroids and have a good time doing it. Hope to see many of you at the Aroid Show at Fairchild Gardens in mid-September.

Betsy Feuerstein

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.