IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid Plantmen
From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy at sbcglobal.net> on 2014.08.26 at 18:24:30(23056)

Derek et al,

On my only trip to the annual show and sale, I was invited to tour Bob See's place.

John Banta is a good source not only for other Plantmen, but for himself. His place is amazing (or at least was) and I don't know how many hybrids he is responsible for, but many. I remember one trip Dewey Fisk and I took to Northern Florida to visit some people named Worthman, I think. Although Dewey told me the were bromeliad people, he thought they might have some variegated Philodendron 'Florida'. Instead they had several dozen pots of Anthurium dresslerii, which was really uncommon at that time. I believe it was discovered that this was not really A. dresslerii after Rick Cirino brought the plant back from Columbia. Anyway, John crossed it with many of the velour Anthuriums (A. forgetii, A. chrystalinum, etc.).

Another very good Plantsman, in addition to being a Botanist, was Monroe Birdsey. I had the opportunity to visit his place with Dewey Fisk on one of my trips. Joe Wright was another good Florida Plantsman, but on the west coast. Surely some Floridians can elaborate on Monroe and Joe.

Other Botanists, who are Plantsmen are Tom Croat and, I understand Wilbert Hetterscheid. Also, from the experiences he relates, I think Peter Boyce might also qualify as a good Plantman. I have visited the Munich Botanical Gardens, where Josef Bogner was my host. Now there is another Plantman/Botanist.

Of course if you could get Dewey to share some
of his stories, you would have another really good source.

I sure hope others, with more knowledge will contribute to this thread.

David Leedy

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.