IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid Plantmen
From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2014.08.27 at 00:49:33(23064)

I’m not a Floridian but have been visiting there since the 1960s, from my home in Grenada. I got to know Monroe Birdsey in the 70s and visited his home countless times. It was a must stop on my rounds. He had a sizeable house lot in SW Miami and since his house was small there was plenty of space for his collection of the aroids he had picked up on his travels. It was in fact a real jungle, but there were paths through it. Many of the species were just green without any particular horticultural value, but I did get one or two nice things from him. I always took plants with me from Grenada, so we exchanged. One philodendron he gave me was called by him “Catherine Wilson”. I guess she may have discovered it in Costa Rica. I seem to remember it as similar to P. plowmanii. Not especially striking.

I had been collecting on the Pacific coast of Colombia and one sp. of philodendron he was very keen to get from me was P. tenue. I took it for him no less than four times, because he always managed to lose it. Now, sad to say, I have lost it too. It is a very appealing species because its leaves are very long and narrow, widening only as it forms two lobes at the top.

One day I was spending time with Monroe when he had a visitor. This was Julius Boos. He had come from his native Trinidad with corms of a species similar to amorphophallus, but smaller. Apparently the indentured immigrants from India had brought it with them as a food item and it had become naturalized in Trinidad. I was later to get to know Julius very well.

On two occasions Monroe came to Grenada collecting and I accompanied him in the field. He was adamant that our native Philodendron ‘giganteum’ was no such thing, but he couldn’t say what it was. He never would pretend to know more than he did.

We had great times together, particularly because Monroe had a great sense of humour. He could tell stories that would have me helpless with laughter. I remember him describing a visit from two ladies from a tropical island who were much taken with several specimens he had, growing in the ground, of a gigantic fern. Monroe, being very generous with his plants, invited the ladies to help themselves to a few divisions. That acted as a signal, he said, for them to fall upon the plant in a frenzy and in no time at all there was nothing left of it. Perhaps it was because I myself knew the two ladies that I laughed so much.

However, he had another type of sense of humour that involved such corny puns that they made you squirm and groan. I only wish I could recall some of them now, but I’m sure there are many people out there who could. However, one thing that could indicate how “painful” his humour could be was told to me by one of his students at the University of Florida. As a memory aid to the name of the family Polygonaceae, he told the students to think of it as “the departed parrot family”. Well at least it certainly has worked as an effective memory aid!

Monroe was a vegetarian, and for him this meant eating things like granola bars at various times during the day. Hardly a healthy diet. I never saw him cook. It would have seemed a waste of precious time to him.

One day I arrived at Miami airport to be told that Monroe had been found dead in his chair by a lodger who was staying there. It was a great loss and after there had been a sale of his plants the lovely jungle in suburbia has become, I am told, much like any other in the street.

John Criswick.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.