IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Aroid Plantmen
From: DAVID LEEDY <djleedy at sbcglobal.net> on 2014.08.29 at 03:11:26(23066)

Dear Susan,

Her name is Betsy Feurstein and both trips I took to Ecuador were under her auspices. Betsy was
always concerned with our interaction with the locals.

My first trip was to Lita, an area rich in Aroids. Next to the place we were staying was Mary’s cantina, where we would go for a beer after a day of collecting. One night the Federal Police came in and were passing around a bottle of their own version of moonshine. They offered me a swig, but being no fool I pursed my lips together and pretended to drink with them. That went on for many hours and I was afraid to leave, so I stayed with them.

We usually left around 5 or 6 AM to go plant collecting. When the Federal Policemen got up, around 10:00 AM with hangovers, they inquired as to my whereabouts. When they were informed that I had left with my group around 5 or 6 AM, they named me Dos Galones. Evidently they thought I had drunk a lot more than I did.

David Leedy

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.