IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Aglaonema with yellow flowers
From: Russ <bluesea14808 at yahoo.com> on 2019.10.30 at 14:57:05(24272)
(File Type Not Recognized: attachments/191030080201-2.png)
(File Type Not Recognized: attachments/191030080201-3.png)
(File Type Not Recognized: attachments/191030080201-4.png)

Kenneth, I agree that it's very similar. Pride of Sumatra is one of the early rotundum hybrids, I never owned one but recall it from many, many years ago.

I recently acquired so-called Chocolate and have no comparison other than pictures. Googling images, there are some that look identical, others have more green in the leaves which is the one I remember. Some ags are variable within groups of the same named cultivar, Pride of Sumatra is obviously one of them.

So you could be absolutely right and I wouldn't be surprised if Chocolate is just a renaming of Pride of Sumatra. Look at the hugely popular Siam Aurora, also called Red Aglaonema, Crete, Creta, Red Sumatra, etc, etc.

While some ag cultivars are variable, I'm astounded by the stability of Siam Aurora. I see entire display tables full of them at BB stores and they're always the same. I did come across an unnamed ag this summer that is obviously a sport of Siam Aurora where the reds were replaced with pink. A single plant among 6 gave it's identity away by having a quarter-size patch of Siam Aurora coloration on a leaf. This pink one is a bit feminine for my taste but quite pretty.

Below is another unnamed one I found recently.

Russ

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.