IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: Neil Carroll's last IAS Newsletter
From: Betsy Feuerstein ecuador at midsouth.rr.com> on 2001.05.14 at 20:11:04(6444)
It was my impression that Aroideana was to be scientific and the Newletter to be the flip side of the coin. I would like to see some growing in Aroideana, but to clutter it with amateur 'stuff' might take away from its professional approach. In fact, years ago, it was held to that strict standard. What has changed in the big world to alter this? I will be the first to say, that I read very little of the scientific stuff, but it does have its place. I like
the folksy, friendly, plant growing, collecting, human aspects that come through in the Newsletters of the past. When the Newsletter becomes just a more timely addenda to Aroideana, then I think we have left out the backbone of this organization, the little guy who just loves his Aroids. We need to have a place for growing questions and answers, observations of plant people, just talk of plants and the fun of the comraderie of such communication. The
Newsletter needs to be an extension of Aroid L banter. David Leedy ever so many years ago, did such a great job of putting the human side of plants onto paper. Now, I know this was before Email, but I looked forward to getting the Newsletter and to reading it. I look at the photos in Aroideana and if something catches my eye, I read further. I want to read the Newsletter, not a two minute Oh, and done.

I guess what I am saying is it is the grower, little guy who is the backbone of this organization, the guy or gal who just loves plants, and that is not what is being honored with its publications. Now, I know some of you enjoy the scientific stuff and that is great, but many of us just want down to earth dirty plant stuff so it is my hope that the Newletter will become some new form of meeting that desire to communicate the growing stuff, the little guy
fun stuff. Let's put the fun in the Newsletter and the scientific stuff in the Aroideana and then all the needs get met. Just don't forget the desires of the guy who pays the bills in general. Some Aroid L stuff could be incorporated into the Newletter to get material for print. If its good, it is worth seeing again. And let's get some FUN into the Newsletter!

There are many who do the day to day drudgery work of this organization and I would like to see them get credit for what they do and then remember the ones who just have the steady hand in growing and getting this stuff out there. Dewey is the one who comes to mind and we could make it where when things are available, they could be mentioned so all could have a chance. Not all have computers and they are at a distinct disadvantage because they do not get
Aroid L. It might be that those that do have computers could get their Newsletter that way and the others get it via snail mail. That could cut down on the printing and mailing costs.

I don't know how others might like things, but I think now that we are going to have a new person doing the Newsletter, now is the time to put our ideas on the table. Neal's first Newsletter was fantastic with all of the pictures. I know it is one heck of a lot of work but whoever does it, I would rather see it regularly with a bit less than to see it so rarely. We need to get back as an organization that fulfills what it says it does. If it is four times
a year, then it should be four times a year. If it is two pages, once a month, then it should come out once a month. We need to get our act together.

Now, others please chip in and give your two cents worth of ideas so that we can get things moving.

Thanks,
Betsy

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.