IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

back from brazil
From: Piabinha at aol.com on 2001.11.07 at 04:41:40(7766)
hi all,

i'm back from a 3-week trip to brazil's southeastern states. it was a great trip to visit both the 'campos rupestres' (a rocky, hilly, semi-arid terrain typical of brazil's east coast) and the atlantic rainforest. i also got to finally meet edu gon?alves and see his amazing aroid collection, in sao paulo, where edu continues to work on his doctoral dissertation. in the 'campos rupestres', we saw some xerophytical Anthurium and Philodendrons. in the atlantic rainforest, we saw many Philo. and Anth. too, but also some tuberous aroids such as Asterostigma and Taccarum, including a new giant species (that edu will describe, i understand), a true brazilian amorphophallus. we also visited mr. roberto kautsky's estate in espirito santo, who discovered this giant Taccarum, as well as over 100 plants of the atlantic rainforest (in his shadehouse, i also saw the famous Philo. spiritus-sancti). another highlight was to visit the burle-marx estate for the 2nd time, and it is in much b
etter shape than 2 years ago. if you are ever in rio de janeiro, you should not miss an opportunity to visit their amazing aroid collection, which includes wonderful specimens of many Philodendrons, Anthurium, Alocasia, Cyrtosperma, Typhonodorum and the amazing Montrichardias growing as tall as bamboo.

tsuh yang chen, nyc, USA
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orchidspecies

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.