IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

[aroid-l] smells (was: How does A. titanum do it?)
From: Piabinha at aol.com on 2002.09.12 at 21:35:40(9401)
i can just hear lord p. groaning all the way from the lower-lands... but as someone who tasted durian without knowing beforehand when i was in indonesia, i can tell you: it does not smell as potent or bad as it's reputed to be. i had ordered this iced, soupy drink with lots of fruit and beans from a street vendor. she didn't tell me what was in it and as i was eating it, there was some pale fleshed stuff, that did smell a bit like garlicky fermented shrimp paste, pungent but not awful or unbearable, and certainly not like garbage, dung or dirty underwear. i asked her what it was and she said durian.

later that week, my gamelan group was hiking in the highlands of java, and two of them decided to buy a fresh durian in the market. they ate it there and i don't remember the smell being overpowering.

darn, now you'll got me thinking about that trip. i miss mangis (mangosteen - Garcinia), my favorite fruit in the whole world!!!!!!!!!!!

and bernhard, btw, THANK YOU for the pics of your Am. titanum... LOL

tsuh yang CHEN in nyc

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.