IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

stabilization of large pots
From: "D. Scott Taylor" staylor at brevardparks.com> on 2006.07.06 at 12:59:55(14385)
Good Morning:? I was wondering if any of you enlightened growers have a simple remedy for the ongoing problem of my Amorphophallus pots in larger pots (7-20 gal) being prone to 'tipping' over once the large leaves develop.? The plants are so top-heavy that anytime there is a strong breeze or even heavy rain, the pots tend to tip over, damaging the plants and spilling out soil/fertilizer.? Short of driving a stake next to each pot and tying them off, I don't know what to do?Thanksdst D. Scott Taylor, Ph.D. Central Region Land Manager Brevard County Environmentally Endangered Lands Program 5560 N. US 1 Melbourne, Florida 32940 V: 321.255.4466 FAX 321.255.4499 email: staylor@brevardparks.com www.eelbrevard.com _______________________________________________
Aroid-l mailing list
Aroid-l@gizmoworks.com
+More
From: "Hal or Nancy Robinson" robyn82 at bellsouth.net> on 2006.07.07 at 16:12:05(14388)
Try driving a small rebar (from box stores) down
into
the ground and placing pots on the rebar. It
+More
From: Tony Avent tony at plantdelights.com> on 2006.07.07 at 21:45:02(14391)
Scott:

I think you will find the key to amorph. stabilization in containers is
as simple as providing good air movement. Without it, the cell walls
of the stalks never strengthen enough to stand up straight. I have
seen countless potted collections with this same problem. Where we
grow ours with good air movement, they stand up fine. A small
recirculating fan will work wonders, or you can strengthen the stems
with a regular vigorous shaking...although the family may find that a
bit kinky.
Tony Avent

+More
From: Ken Mosher ken at spatulacity.com> on 2006.07.08 at 01:28:50(14392)
Tony - I think Scott is lamenting the fact that top heavy plants tend to
tip, especially something like a tall konjac or paeoniifolius whose
large lamina is just like a sail in the wind - and the wind tends to
blow over the pots.

Scott - In such a large pot there is room for bottom weight. I suggest a
brick or patio block, whatever will fit in the bottom, to give you some
stability. I grow my big konjacs in 18 - 20 gal buckets and they're
heavy enough without bricks in the bottom. I avoid the tipping problem
by placing them close together and sheltering them if high winds are
predicted.

Good luck,
Ken

+More
From: "Steve Hatfield" sehatfield at insightbb.com> on 2006.07.10 at 01:54:15(14398)
I put a large heavy rock in the pot first
(if I don’t need to move it) You can also “partially plant” the pots if that
will work in your situation.

Steve

+More
From: bonaventure at optonline.net on 2006.07.10 at 06:46:52(14404)
Dear Dr. Scott,
You can place some large stones on top of the soil, or place the pots into larger heavy terra cotta pots, with stones added on the sides and on top for good measure..
Can you tell us a little about the endangered plants, orchids and carnivorous for example, and endangered ecosystems in the Endangered Lands Program?
Bonaventure Magrys
+More
From: "D. Scott Taylor" staylor at brevardparks.com> on 2006.07.11 at 16:37:20(14416)
Hey.. thanks for the tip.. just wondering what a 'box store' is?? or why they would have rebar?? And do you push the rebar up into the drain holes on the pot?dstOn Jul 7, 2006, at 12:12 PM, Hal or Nancy Robinson wrote: Try driving a small rebar (from box stores) down into the ground and placing pots on the rebar.? It will not show and would not hurt the roots that much. Nancy Robinson? Tennessee? zone 6b ----- Original Message ----- From: D. Scott Taylor To: Discussion of aroids Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 8:59 AM Subject: [Aroid-l] stabilization of large pots Good Morning:? I was wondering if any of you enlightened growers have a simple remedy for the ongoing problem of my Amorphophallus pots in larger pots (7-20 gal) being prone to 'tipping' over once the large leaves develop.? The plants are so top-heavy that anytime there is a strong breeze or even heavy rain, the pots tend to tip over, damaging the plants and spilling out soil/fertilizer.? Short of driving a stake next to
+More
From: "D. Scott Taylor" staylor at brevardparks.com> on 2006.07.11 at 16:39:30(14417)
Hi Tony: Thanks for the comment.. I know that you folks there are experts at amorphs.. do you think that it is the physical movement of the petioles themselves that strengthens them?? My problem is more the entire pot tipping over, however, not petiole strength.dstOn Jul 7, 2006, at 5:45 PM, Tony Avent wrote: Scott: I think you will find the key to amorph. stabilization in containers is as simple as providing good air movement.? Without it, the cell walls of the stalks never strengthen enough to stand up straight.? I have seen countless potted collections with this same problem.? Where we grow ours with good air movement, they stand up fine.? A small recirculating fan will work wonders, or you can strengthen the stems with a regular vigorous shaking...although the family may find that a bit kinky. Tony Avent
Plant Delights Nursery @
Juniper Level Botanic Garden
9241 Sauls Road
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.