IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

"black" zantedeschias
From: Steve Marak samarak at gizmoworks.com> on 2006.11.22 at 07:40:17(14825)
I keep forgetting to ask about this ....

A few weeks ago I was wandering through a local warehouse club (Sam's). They
had an arrangement of the most impressive black zantedeschias I've ever seen.

They weren't truly black, of course, but easily the darkest I've ever seen,
looking black from any distance at all and without any lighter edge. And in a
lot of the darker varieties I've seen, the spathes haven't been that large -
looked like lots of rehmannii in them, to me, from the size and shape. But
these had larger spathes with a more open shape. I thought they were artificial
until I was within a couple of meters, and I had to scratch them to be sure
they weren't painted or otherwise artifically colored somehow.

The distributor rep happened to be there, and said they were grown either in
Costa Rica or Columbia - she wasn't sure which, and didn't know any more. They
got in only enough to do that one arrangement, and I've seen none since.

Anyone know what variety that might be? I've checked out "black callas" on the
web - lots of hits, but nothing as impressive as this one.

Steve

+More
From: "StroWi at t-online.de" StroWi at t-online.de> on 2006.11.22 at 08:34:46(14826)
Steve,

did you take a picture that could be attached to a mail or maybe could
be put into the gallery of the aroid.org page?

Good growing,
Bernhard.

+More
From: abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2006.11.22 at 12:27:36(14830)
The cultivar 'Schwarzwalder' has almost black spathes, but its leaves don't
look like rehmannii, they are sagittate and spotted like in Z. elliottiana.
A photo attached.

+More
From: anton huang anton_huang84 at hotmail.com> on 2006.11.22 at 12:35:20(14831)
hi steve..the black callas i know is hybrid name 'pot black', it's dwarf and don't have any spot on the leaves like other callas (clean green leaves). that's all i know..hope i can help u. regards,anton.> Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 01:40:17 -0600> From: samarak@gizmoworks.com> To: aroid-l@gizmoworks.com> Subject: [Aroid-l] "black" zantedeschias> > I keep forgetting to ask about this ....> > A few weeks ago I was wandering through a local warehouse club (Sam's). They> had an arrangement of the most impressive black zantedeschias I've ever seen.> > They weren't truly black, of course, but easily the darkest I've ever seen,> looking black from any distance at all and without any lighter edge. And in a> lot of the darker varieties I've seen, the spathes haven't been that large -> looked like lots of rehmannii in them, to me, from the size and shape. But> these had larger spathes with a more open shape. I thought they were artificial> until I was within a couple of meters, and I had to scratch them to be sure> they w
+More
From: Kyle Baker kylefletcherbaker at yahoo.com> on 2006.11.22 at 13:14:01(14832)
There are a whole new line of Black Zant's coming out of Holland, this I know as we're getting some bulbs in come spring for next years season here in Maine. They're 24"-32" and the deepest purple as to appear black as tar. Will post the name as they come from either De Vroomen or Van Engelen, possible Van Bourgandien believe though its De Vroomen suppliers. kfb maineSteve Marak wrote: I keep forgetting to ask about this ....A few weeks ago I was wandering through a local warehouse club (Sam's). Theyhad an arrangement of the most impressive black zantedeschias I've ever seen.They weren't truly black, of course, but easily the darkest I've ever seen,looking black from any distance at all and without any lighter edge. And in
+More
From: Steve Marak samarak at gizmoworks.com> on 2006.11.22 at 16:24:21(14834)
Thanks everyone for the responses so far, and some additional comments ...

Bernhard, unfortunately I have no photo. I was berating myself for not having a
camera with me until my wife reminded me that it's not something I would
ordinarily take along while shopping at a warehouse club ...

Jani, thanks for the links. There are some impressive cultivars out there. I
didn't see any that looked exactly like what I saw, but of course time has
passed and things are usually more impressive in our memories.

Marek, Anton, and Kyle mentioned the foliage - I don't know what the foliage
looked like, either. They had only the inflorescences on their stems in an
arrangement. The stems were easily 30+ cm (1 foot) long, not including any of
the spathe which added at least another 10+ cm (4 inches or so).

That was the other impressive thing - the pink/purple/red/black cultivars I've
seen have had smaller inflorescences on smaller plants, which is why I said
they reminded me of rehmanii. The size and form of these reminded me of some of
the bigger yellow cultivars like "Flame".

Steve

+More
From: Kyle Baker kylefletcherbaker at yahoo.com> on 2006.11.22 at 16:26:07(14835)
Schwarzwalder is the cultivar I was trying to think of....Black Forest is the english translation and we're getting 36 of them come spring and shall put 2 per 6" pot and sell for around $7.99. kfb maineabri1973@wp.pl wrote: The cultivar 'Schwarzwalder' has almost black spathes, but its leaves don't look like rehmannii, they are sagittate and spotted like in Z. elliottiana. A photo attached.Marek----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Marak" To: "Aroid list" Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 8:40 AMSubject: [Aroid-l] "black" zantedeschias>I keep forgetting to ask about this ....>> A few weeks ago I was wandering through a local warehouse club (Sam's). > They> had an
+More
From: Susan B honeybunny442 at yahoo.com> on 2006.11.22 at 19:02:26(14837)
Edge of night and Black Star have fairly large flowers and very dark. They may be the same variety (like Picasso and Wizzard).I believe they started off as a sport in a crop of Schwarzenwalder. They both have dark petioles and dark edges to their leaves.----- Original Message ----From: Steve Marak To: Aroid list Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 1:40:17 AMSubject: [Aroid-l] "black" zantedeschiasI keep forgetting to ask about this ....A few weeks ago I was wandering through a local warehouse club (Sam's). Theyhad an arrangement of the most
impressive black zantedeschias I've ever seen.They weren't truly black, of course, but easily the darkest I've ever seen,looking black from any distance at all and without any lighter edge. And in alot of the darker varieties I've seen, the spathes haven't been that large -looked like lots of rehmannii in them, to me, from the size and shape. Butthese had larger spathes with a more open shape. I thought they were artificialuntil I was within a couple of meters, and I had to scratch them to be surethey weren't painted or otherwise artifically colored somehow.The distributor rep happened to be there, and said they were grown either inCosta Rica or Columbia - she wasn't sure which, and didn't know any more. Theygot in only enough to do that one arrangement, and I've seen none since.Anyone know what variety that might be? I've checked out "black callas" on the web - lots of hits, but nothing as impressive as this one.
+More
From: Rosalind Gold rozgold at pacbell.net> on 2006.11.24 at 15:03:42(14852)
Steve: I've also heard of a cultivar called "Naomi Campell," being offered by Park Seeds, which has dark stems: http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId101&catalogId066&langId=-1&mainPage=prod2working&ItemIdr15&FromTextSearch=my+order. Another website identifies it as Zantedeschia aethiopica, although this particular grower seems to be getting fairly light blooms: http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/62774.html Happy Thanksgiving to all!
+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.