IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

2nd Annual Aroid show?
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.10.09 at 13:52:07(16431)
I'm probably going to get in trouble here, but I thought the suggestion about an IAS show on the west coast was a good one to consider. But before we jump all the way to the other coast, perhaps there is an alternative that will meet a lot of needs, especially for the expansion of the International Aroid Society.

I had a discussion with Tricia Frank while she visited my atrium in June of this year, and it is obvious from some of her feelings as well as the total attendance at the September show we all need to do more to expand the IAS membership. There are tons of people in this country that love some of the base species in our plant group, Philodendron and Anthurium. But most know very little about them. We need to do a better job of educating the world. How do we get into the schools? Can we include a "junior" membership? Can we encourage new blood into this organization? How?

I see an incredible number of people each year who want to see, tough and feel my aroids and travel pretty fair distances to see our very small atrium as a result of my website. Some people think the "ExoticRainforest" is a tourist attraction in NW Arkansas. Sorry, its only 600 square feet! But I've had people drive 900 miles supposedly just to see it! Since April we've had people from 13 states call to arrange a visit! That amazes me. But what if we got them excited about going somewhere (within driving distance) where they could really see a lot of aroids. And my two top choices would be MOBOT or the Crystal Bridge in Oklahoma City. MOBOT would be the top choice due to the enormous facilities they have as well as the fact Dr. Croat is there. What a place to have an aroid show! Many of you probably don't know, but Tom has the largest collection of section Pachynerium Anthurium in the world at MOBOT! Those are the birds nest forms that the people in Indonesia are so nuts about right now!

I was at MOBOT last October when they were having a glass show inside their enormous artificial rain forest. The crowds were amazing. Thousands and thousands of people. And they were there to see both the glass and the plants. What if they were there to see the International Aroid Show? Don't you think the local television stations would promote such an event? I have no idea how many people came that weekend, but I've been told MOBOT receives 870,000 visitors each year. Can we figure out a way to take advantage of that? Can we work to have two, or three, International Aroid Shows each year? Since we can't get huge numbers to travel to Miami, maybe we can arrange to deliver the plants to the masses. And for those of you who sell aroids, just think of the new customer possibilities! If they are willing to spend $600 on an Anthurium in Indonesia, will they spend a few hundred over here if we present the plants to them right?

I am one that is quite distressed with the constant email from Indonesia wanting to buy Anthurium. But maybe we should use that to our advantage. I see more and more people visiting my website to learn about Anthurium species (or at least the 50 or so I grow). The single most often read article on my website right now is the one about how to grow an Anthurium. I'm now receiving 35,000 hits each month and at least 1/3 of those read that page. There has to be a reason! Can we use this interest in Anthurium species to expand the IAS? How do we do it? This is your organization, and I believe it needs your help. So kick in some ideas!

It saddens me, but I honestly expected triple the attendance at the IAS show in September. I had not attended the sale for about 8 years due to where we now live (we used to live in Miami). I am not in any way suggesting moving the show from Miami! We lived there for over 20 years. But is it time to figure out a way to expand into other areas? If you can't get the people to the plants, can we get the plants to the people? Maybe LA is a great idea. Maybe both LA and St. Louis!

Can we get some discussion going on how to expand and grow the International Aroid Society?

Steve Lucas

+More
From: crogers at ecoanalysts.com (D. Christopher Rogers) on 2007.10.09 at 16:50:59(16432)
Hiyer!

I agree with Steve. When I put the question out on the list a few weeks back
I received eight or nine positive responses on list, and more than twenty
off list. Now, I am a member of many different international organizations.
I will not bore you with a list, but with the exception of IAS, they are all
invertebrate zoology or ecological societies. With the exception of IAS,
each year the annual conference is in a different locality. Some like the
North American Benthological Society, alternates sides of the continent for
each annual show. So, since 2003 the meetings have been in Vancouver (BC),
New Orleans (LA), Anchorage (AK), and Columbia (SC). Next year it will be in
Salt Lake City.

What if the IAS meeting moved around? Now, granted Anchorage, Alaska may not
be the best place for the IAS show (although I saw lots of Lysitchiton
americanum), but maybe MOBOT, or similar botanical conservatories would be
interested in hosting our group (it could bring in money and publicity for
them). In California, there are lots of options: Stribling Arboretum (San
Francisco), University of California Botanical Gardens at Berkeley or Davis,
Balboa Park (San Diego), Pasadena Arboretum, Huntington Library Gardens, San
Francisco Conservatory of Flowers . . .

I think that the best way to increase membership is to get our name out. By
moving the show around we can reach more people in more communities. There
will be new local vendors who may want to buy booth space.

Another idea would be to have a booth at shows for other plant groups. My
son is an orchid grower. It amazes me how many of the orchid growers here in
CA also have a few aroids in their greenhouses and/or gardens. Why not
designate a local liaison, rent a non-profit org booth at an orchid show,
and talk to the attendees about aroids? We also have carnivorous plant
societies, succulent societies and bromeliad societies here that are always
looking for speakers at their monthly meetings and shows. Other groups to
visit would include garden clubs and native plant societies.

Now, all this being said, I wish I was able to devote myself to doing this.
I am great with the ideas, but because I am already doing this same kind of
outreach for The Crustacean Society and the International Large Branchiopod
Society, I am sadly too swamped and too poor to do this across North
America, let alone anywhere else in the world for IAS. But, because I have
been doing this for other organizations, I can tell you that it does work! I
am happy to attempt to make inroads with some of my local organizations, and
if more of our members could do the same in their areas, we might be able to
increase our membership greatly.

My two cents worth,
Christopher

+More
From: lbmkjm at yahoo.com (brian lee) on 2007.10.09 at 17:13:51(16433)
Dear Steve,

Aloha.

I would agree that the IAS would benefit from
increased membership. I believe that the first step
would be an affiliated chapter in other areas. Are
there any affiliate chapters? I heard of two chapters
in the past...but do not know if one exists today.
These groups, the Southwest Florida and California
chapters, were mentioned in the History of the IAS.
If there is an affiliated society on the West Coast,
it would be up to them to host a show...with the
blessing of the parent organization.

It sounds like alot of work for some dedicated
group...but it would be wonderful. I think we need to
hear from West Coast aroiders. From what I
know...which is limited, it requires a passionate core
group to organize and maintain a chapter. Who knows,
it may be the Indonesians with that drive and passion
to organize a chapter....after all, it is an
International Aroid Society.

+More
From: blampl1 at earthlink.net (Bryan Lampl) on 2007.10.09 at 18:24:31(16434)
Hello Aroiders,

I would like to make the suggestion of switching coasts annually so
that those of us on the west coast could have a better chance of
attending. I also do like the idea of taking the plants to the
people and having the show do some sort of country tour hitting a
different location each year that highlights a botanical garden or
location that would have a display of aroids for us to drool over.

I do suppose one of the most difficult issues would be the
transporting of plants for sale. Obviously a lot of the suppliers
for the Florida show are from that area and only have to load up a
truck to deliver the goods.

Bryan Lampl

+More
From: RAYMOMATTLA at cs.com (RAYMOMATTLA at cs.com) on 2007.10.10 at 00:15:17(16435)
Steve,

I agree, it would be nice to have mini-shows throughout the year. How about
arranging one at your atrium in Arkansas or perhaps Brian could do something
like the Tropical Frills and Aroid Thrills event at PDN several years back.
Atlanta has an awesome botanical gardens with a huge collection of Aroids and
Orchids, and is somewhat centrally located, (and only an hour and a half from
my place...lol!) There are tonnes of options, someone just needs to get the
ball rolling.

+More
From: mickpascall at hotmail.com (Michael Pascall) on 2007.10.10 at 03:54:22(16438)
Michael Pascall,

.after all, it is an> International Aroid Society.
]
YES , back in the 80's there was greater interest and also nearly more members down here in Australia than there was in America ..all due to the drive of David Burnett .
I have spoken to many of the collectors here , and there could be a show one day , just like the big one in Townsville .
BUT , how many International members would bother coming downunder ?
It would have to be in late spring or summer , that means it would be winter for the other hemisphere . Impossible for anyone to brings plants to show , and just as dificult to buy plants to take home . Though some European countries have very few restrictions re. importing plants .>

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.10.10 at 07:07:32(16439)
Boy, did my private mail box light up! And the idea seems to have some positive support here as well. I did receive one notice that it would be impossible for the Florida contingent to show plants in California due to state law preventing bringing in plants. That could severely limit the support. But of course, you guys in California might know a way around that one. Perhaps the sentiment is for moving the show from Miami, but I'd like to consider a show (or shows) in addition to Miami.

What if we consider doing something totally different, but similar, to the International Aroid Show and Sale. Since the Indonesians are nuts about Anthurium and are driving all of us nuts let's take advantage of their money and enthusiasm. How about producing something that might be called the International Anthurium and Aroid Conference sponsored by the International Aroid Society. And do it in St. Louis with Tom's blessings (if he'll bless it). This afternoon I my checked my last 100 website hits and of those over 80 were looking up Anthurium. Almost everyone of those read my article on growing Anthurium! But the places they are in are not all Indonesia. Right now I'm receiving up to 1,700 hits daily (average is about 1,200) and the majority are for Anthurium. The hits are coming from all of the United States, Europe, Iran, Saudi Arabia and many places in the South Pacific as well as Indonesia and SE Asia. These people are begging to see and buy Anthurium, especially bird's nest forms. Right now
Anthurium is hot!

If we try to do this in the late spring all you guys that sell should have time to get some birds nest forms ready to sell. I think we should push the devil out of inviting people from all over the world to come and attend as well as show. Announce it on every garden board on the net! Invite the Hawaiian growers. Invite anyone! But do the thing somewhat different from the Miami show and sale in we'll also have some conference speakers telling how to grow, and hybridize, Anthurium. Either you have to be a member of IAS to attend any of these conferences or pay extra.

Get Tom to show off his birds nest Anthurium collection and get MOBOT to sponsor it. Bring up Eduardo. Bring Joep. Bring whoever we can that knows about Anthurium and will share their knowledge. The garden will make money from the ticket sales, IAS will make money from booth sales and membership, and sellers will just make money. Especially if we can get the Asians to come and spend some of their cash. You can charge for each seminar or just use it to increase membership!! Sell seeds! (But not 10,000 seeds at a time!) Take advantage of the current hype. And of course, since the conference includes all aroids, not just Anthurium, we can still show off any aroid!

Some aroid sellers have been selling a few Anthurium on eBay that will go for well over $600 each! I saw several sell in the past few weeks for over $500 each! Talk about an auction! These people ask me all the time if they can come and buy my plants. So let's give them a "plant sale" to come to! And let's push them to become members of IAS.

Any ideas? I've had some success in helping to promote and sponsor similar conferences in other fields. One I was a co-producer of in Miami brought in 20,000 paid guests for several years. The fire marshalls almost shut us down because we over sold the Coconut Grove Exhibition Center in Miami. I'll donate my time. How about the rest of you?

Steve Lucas

+More
From: agavestar at covad.net (Michael Mahan) on 2007.10.10 at 09:33:50(16440)
I agree with Christopher Rodgers that we need to expand beyond the Miami
show to draw in new members , if not just some booths at some of the larger
orchid shows &/or plant shows/sales , the San Francisco Orchid Exposition,
The Santa Barbara Orchid Show , (both of these shows Ecuagenera always has
a booth) the Huntington?s annual 4th of July sale (a huge event ),
locations such as the SF bay area (with the world famous locations such as
the Stribling Arboretum (San Francisco), San Francisco Conservatory of
Flowers, University of California Botanical Gardens at Berkeley or Davis,) .
In the Greater Los Angeles area the Huntington agin , The Pasadena
Arboretum, Balboa Park (San Diego),I can think of at least three or four
people who would take on manning a booth in the SF bay area & we might be
able to get some of the Hawaiian vendors to come over for a West Coast
event.

Yours

Michael Mahan

+More
From: edleigh7 at optusnet.com.au (edleigh) on 2007.10.10 at 09:46:51(16441)
What about a "road show" so to speak, that travels the country to your various capital cities??

Regards,

Ed & Leigh

+More
From: ju-bo at msn.com (Julius Boos) on 2007.10.10 at 09:48:15(16442)
From: denis at skg.com (Denis Rotolante) on 2007.10.10 at 13:42:16(16444)
If somebody decides to do a California show, the plants displayed and
sold will be mainly California plants. California is very protective of
its plant industry and does not welcome with open arms any plants from
other states, particularly Florida. So shipping in plants from my
nursery is not a possibility.

I most hardily suggest that California Aroiders get together, form a
show committee and decide when a where and how they wish to do a show.
Do not worry about the East Coast.

Denis

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.10.10 at 22:43:54(16447)
It thrills me to hear you guys jump in on this! I'm a long way from California but I'll do anything I can to help. As Julius said, we need a core, and I volunteer for any duty I can fill. But a core needs a bunch of people. Let's keep this ball rolling and get some other venues planned! And executed!

Steve

+More
From: wmrazek at argotech.net (Wayne) on 2007.10.11 at 02:25:48(16448)
California has so many regulations, that many events have to be held across
the border, in Las Vegas. Still very convenient for the masses of people on
the
West Coast. They have plenty of facilities for larger shows. I don't know
about Nevada plant regs.

Wayne

+More
From: crogers at ecoanalysts.com (D. Christopher Rogers) on 2007.10.11 at 18:04:23(16458)
I don't know about all the CA plant restrictions. At the orchid shows, there
are vendors and exhibitors from all over the US (including Hawaii), Canada,
Brazil, Ecuador, Thailand and Singapore.

Christopher

+More
From: Steve at ExoticRainforest.com (ExoticRainforest) on 2007.10.12 at 19:59:47(16468)
Go get 'em Ted! Your thought process is exactly like mine, you just wrote down at least the majority of the list floating around in my head.

I just received a nice note from Tricia Frank who I feel is giving her personal blessings to such an effort. It is just a matter of some of us taking the inititate and getting it done. Where? Right now that is not as important as the fact we are talking about doing it! But let's don't let these ideas get lost somewhere on the back burner.

My private mail box has lit up! At least a few people seem to believe I want to take the IAS show away from Miami. Believe me, I don't! I just want to add more events. But this idea seems to have some positive support around the country. I was delighted to see the post today that it was possible to get plants into California. That would make this effort much easier. Can someone out there who has access find out what the restrictions might be?

What if we consider doing something totally different, but similar, to the International Aroid Show and Sale. Something very much like what Ted proposed today. Since the Indonesians are nuts about Anthurium and are driving all of us nuts let's take advantage of their money and enthusiasm. How about producing something that might be called (this is only a suggestion) the International Anthurium and Aroid Conference sponsored by the International Aroid Society. If we consider doing one in St. Louis with Tom's blessings (if he'll bless it) we'd have a great draw with the Missouri Botanical Garden along with easy access from almost anywhere in the world. Yesterday and again today I my checked my last 100 website hits and of those over 80 were looking up Anthurium. Almost everyone of those read my article that Julius and Leland helped write on growing Anthurium! But the places they are visiting from are not all Indonesia. Right now I'm receiving up to 1,700 hits daily (average is about 1,200) and the majo
rity are for Anthurium. The hits are coming from all of the United States, Europe, Iran, Saudi Arabia and many places in the South Pacific as well as Indonesia and SE Asia. These people are begging to see and buy Anthurium, especially bird's nest forms. Right now Anthurium is hot!

If we try to do this in the late spring all you guys that sell should have time to get some birds nest forms ready to sell. I think we should push the (sorry, almost used a bad word there) out of inviting people from all over the world to come and attend as well as show. Announce it on every garden board on the net! Invite the Hawaiian growers. Invite anyone! But do the thing somewhat different from the Miami show and sale in we'll also have some conference speakers telling how to grow, and hybridize, Anthurium and all the other species and topics Ted mentioned. Either you have to be a member of IAS to attend any of these conferences or pay extra. Obviosly, the goal is to increase membership!

Get Tom to show off his birds nest Anthurium collection and get MOBOT to back it. Bring up Eduardo. Bring Joep. Bring whoever we can that knows about Anthurium and will share their knowledge. The garden will make money from the ticket sales, IAS will make money from booth sales, increased membership and a cut of the plant sales, and sellers will just make money. Especially if we can get the Asians to come and spend some of their cash. You can charge for each seminar or just use it to increase membership!! Sell seeds! (But not 10,000 seeds at a time!) Take advantage of the current hype. And of course, since the conference includes all aroids, not just Anthurium, we can still show off any aroid!

Some aroid sellers have been selling a few Anthurium on eBay that will go for well over $600 to $700 each! I saw several sell in the past few weeks for over $500 each! Talk about an auction! These people ask me all the time if they can come and buy my plants. So let's give them a "plant sale" to come to! And let's push them to become members of IAS. And yes, I know the Indonesian Anthurium fit could end suddenly. But let's grab a chunk before it has time!

Any ideas? I've had some success in helping to promote and sponsor conferences in other fields. One I was a co-producer of in Miami brought in 20,000 paid guests for several years. The fire marshalls almost shut us down because we over sold the Coconut Grove Exhibition Center in Miami. I'll donate my time. How about the rest of you?

Steve Lucas

+More
From: ecuador10 at comcast.net (Betsy Feuerstein) on 2007.10.13 at 17:50:44(16481)
Look people, this is a discussion, not an attempt to personally attack anyone or for that matter their ideas. Great ideas come out of discussion. It is not a personal thing. Good intent has its place. We may or may not agree, but it is with the issues, not the persons who express their opinions.... I hope.

Of course, we need younger participants for the insurance and assurance that IAS will go into the future. Unfortunately, we tend to pass away, us from the older realm, and for the organization to continue, it will take new folks and new ideas and most likely change. So for now, let's not put this into personal terms and just accept that while we may agree or disagree with what is being said, all is in the realm of personal opinion and ideas of what might be good for IAS. I do not think the folks in Miami are afraid that the show is about to be eliminated and I suspect on some level, they might like the burden taken away because it is so much work. That said, tongue in cheek, we truly do owe these people so much gratitude for their dedication and efforts for so many years. Without them, I highly doubt there would be an IAS now.

There were some younger folk with great enthusiasm who showed up at the show this year which for me seemed like a good sign. There are some younger people Enid and Sam included who have been around for a bit. There are some new comers from the Hawaii realm who have shown great enthusiasm for aroids and that is good. It does not appear that there are great reams of folk jumping onto the aroid bandwagon but in that, we are not alone. The Asian factor seems to be interested in birdsnest anthuriums at the moment and in time they will move onto other things.... or not. There are many in other countries who are very interested in aroids from amorphophallus to philodendrons, etc., but they tend to want information since they are generally unable to come to the shows. It is not a bleak picture just one to explore and find ways to pull more in and to encourage those who are lurking in the bushes.

I shall say again, recording the lecture at the annual banquet might be good way to start exploring other options. It would not be terribly costly and one where we might be able to find someone who has the equipment or access to such where the duplicates can be made at a reasonable cost to the society so a small profit might be made by the sales of the program.

Dates for other programs could be challenging. During school year times, some could not come. In the spring in the north would prohibit the bringing of plants to the show since spring is not normally when plants look their best at least for me. spring with its warmth can show up late way into late April or May. MoBot might frown upon plants being brought into their facilities due to infection and insects. Another words, many questions to be dealt with. I still say a committee to look into what is feasible and opportune would be a good starting point.

Be a tat practical and start looking into options........ you all have good ideas. Some seem to not have a practical grounding and some seem to be wonderful thoughts......... get the team into action that might produce some options that could be done in the short term with options for the future. Talk is great............. action is the first step to getting something accomplished. I might think it is an good time for the IAS Board to set up a committee of volunteers to explore the possibilities.

The question of the show in Miami seems to have come full circle to the understanding that no one is talking of eliminating it. From my perspective, that is very good. The discussion has brought out the dedication and efforts of the Miami folk for so many years and I think that is good since often we show up at a show, see people running around, the set up show and we go home without a thought to all of the work that it has taken to put the show together and consequently we forget to show our appreciation out of ignorance. WE DO OWE THE MIAMI FOLK SO VERY MUCH FOR THE EXISTENCE OF IAS AND ITS CONTINUANCE!

Respectfully submitted,
Betsy

+More
From: mossytrail at hctc.com (mossytrail) on 2007.10.13 at 18:32:54(16483)
Are there geographic areas where our membership tends to
cluster? These might be good places to consider local
shows, maybe local chapters. Many types of plant-related
organizations are locally based -- there are local garden
clubs, local orchid societies, etc. Is it possible to have
local aroid societies? This is the sort of thing that
members in the respective regions would need to handle, not
rely on the central organization.

I had a funny thought. I had this image in my mind of an
Aroid Pride Parade. Instead of drag queens in convertibles
waving rainbow flags, do it up in an Araceae theme. This
can get very creative if we want it to be -- in Olympia,
Washington there is the annual Procession of the Species, in
which participants dress in costumes of various endangered
animals. I can envision a fabulous Aroid Mardi Gras.... I
think I'd better stop before I get too over-the-top.

Anyway, if there are regions where we cluster, members in
those regions might be able to put together something on the
appropriate scale. Grassroots organizing is a good place to
begin.

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.