IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

2nd Annual Aroid show? CA Imports
From: agavestar at covad.net (Michael Mahan) on 2007.10.12 at 17:41:16(16464)
Here's what I know about plants into California . Plants brought as baggage
on an airline from anywhere in the U S A ( EXCEPT HI & they inspect at the
airport). no checking on anything except the TSA check @ the airport of
departure & they ain't looking for plants . (ups has a no ask policy, it's
up to you to know the rules thing) plants shipped must be from an inspected
nursery if they are stated as plants on the box & this applies only to a
few states . Enid ships into CA all the time as do other Vendors . Windy
also ships into Ca from HI as do other vendors in HI , she is also nursery
inspected.. it's the nematode thing, plants must be grown on benches out of
contact with the soil & a soil less mix &/or be bare root . Plants brought
over the boarder in a private vehicle there are no more stateline
inspection stations ( Arnold S The GOV ) did away with them with budget
cuts. Any pytosanitary doc's by the USDA will be OK for bringing plants into
CA.. now don't quote me on this but this is what I have learned from
importing, selling & buying plants for years here in California

+More
From: ecuador10 at comcast.net (Betsy Feuerstein) on 2007.10.13 at 01:14:15(16477)
I suspect that few commercial growers are willing to take the risk to ship into California without the paperwork with all legalities on the dotted line. They have far too much to risk to take this risk. I think Denis has already stated this in his comments about his nursery. Now there may be some commercial growers out there who ship into California on a regular basis but usually not on a large commercial shipment level. It is one thing to send a box to CA and quite something else to send boxes of plants on a commercial level. Also consider the cost of sending such material all the way to CA from the east coast. Would people be willing to pay the extra cost? Who would take that risk and who would put that money up on the front end with little guarantee that there would not be a loss. Denis has done this for years with the Miami show but I do not see him with the added risks of a meeting elsewhere. I am playing the devil's advocate but I do think you need to seriously contemplate the work, the difficulties,
and the financial aspects of doing any of this.

Betsy

+More
From: ju-bo at msn.com (Julius Boos) on 2007.10.13 at 18:23:46(16482)
Dear Steve,

For the record, here is the earliest post I could find w/ the quote, it was
Brian Lampl from S. California who wrote it.
Betsy did not quote the source of this quote, and unfortunately I (and
others?), because of the sheer volume of your posts on this subject, wrongly
assumed that it came from one of your MANY posts, and you got tarred w/ the
same brush.
I am tired and done w/ this discussion, I`m moving on.

The Best,

Julius

+More
From: agavestar at covad.net (Michael Mahan) on 2007.10.15 at 07:32:38(16498)
I agree that in any large volume of plants shipped from Florida all
regulations would have to be followed to the letter as there is just too
much risk involved in have a large shipment being seized & the destroyed due
to some state inspector following the rules a little to closely . Then what
happens if the plants don't sell ,ship them back ? That in its self would
bring in a whole new set of problems getting the plants back into Florida .
And who in their right mind is gonna send a prized plant all the way across
the U S A & back agin just for a showcase of plants ? .

Michael Mahan

+More
From: chammer at cfl.rr.com (Bluesea) on 2007.10.15 at 13:58:04(16501)
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.gizmoworks.com/mailman/private/aroid-l/attachments/20071015/493e3cb4/attachment.htm

From: exotics at hawaii.rr.com (Windy Aubrey) on 2007.10.15 at 20:39:26(16509)
Hi Everyone,

First, let me state that I DO NOT think that the Miami show should be changed in anyway! It was my first time attending, and will do it again and again. I remember reading Brian William's story about attending one year, and knew I had to do it at least once. Now I'm hooked!

Regarding having another show in addition to the Miami show. That is a monumental undertaking that I don't think has really been explored beyond a pipe dream. Of course, it would be wonderful to have a West Coast Show, but having been originally a resident of California before moving to Hawaii 8 years ago and being in the 'exotic plant business' since the mid '70s, I really don't think there is that many people in California who grow tropical aroids compared to Florida. One reason being, you must have a greenhouse to properly grow and protect the plants from the cold and low humidity. California is a desert. Utilities in California are extremely high (my reason for moving) and for that reason many don't have a greenhouse, and if they do the, the greenhouse tends to be a small orchid house that would be crowded if a couple of good size aroids were placed inside.

FYI regarding sellers from out of state; I have participated in many plant shows in California, coming from Hawaii. There are a lot of misconceptions regarding this. Plants entering California either need to come from a Certified Nursery, or need to be inspected at the point of origin, and then again upon arrival in California. With the proper paperwork, the second inspection (in California) is only a quick inspection, usually involving only one or two of the plants of the shipment. The Agricultural Dept. usually inspects at the show grounds or at the shipping station. Boxes are stamped or marked externally to ID them as containing plants for this purpose.
Plant sales in California are always filled with sellers from other States, and Countries, and they are never restricted as along as these guidelines are followed.
When I moved from California, I brought along 4 greenhouses full of plants all packed into 49 large boxes of varying sizes, 1 dog, 4 cats, and 12 parrots. I became very familiar with the USDA requirements and I did it all legally, and had no problems doing so.
Shipping the plants in for a show is just a part of doing business and this extra cost is worked into the cost of the plant, as is the price of the booth and any percentage charged by the society.
If plants brought in for the show are not sold, they can be returned to their point of origin with their original paperwork and a return entry form from the Dept of Agri.

There is an annual International Fern and Exotic Plant Show already in California at the Los Angeles Arboretum every summer, and this has been going on for over 30 years. This show has judging and sales, but has very little participation from aroids growers.

There is also an Anthurium Society here on Oahu that has an annual show, but this club is primarily flower growers. The fellow members always joke and ask me if my species are "really" Anthurium too?

I think maybe it is best that we all contribute this new found 'energy' into the Miami IAS Show, in anyway possible, and work together for this show to continue and flourish.

Windy

+More
From: hermine at endangeredspecies.com (hermine) on 2007.10.16 at 07:55:59(16513)
At 01:39 PM 10/15/2007, Windy Aubrey wrote:
>
>When I moved from California, I brought along 4 greenhouses full of
>plants all packed into 49 large boxes of varying sizes, 1 dog, 4
>cats, and 12 parrots. I became very familiar with the USDA
>requirements and I did it all legally, and had no problems doing so.
>Shipping the plants in for a show is just a part of doing business
>and this extra cost is worked into the cost of the plant, as is the
>price of the booth and any percentage charged by the society.
>If plants brought in for the show are not sold, they can be returned
>to their point of origin with their original paperwork and a return
>entry form from the Dept of Agri.
>
>
>Windy

When I moved TO California, i had a similar botanical gardens and
zoo, and everything was legal and kosher. eventually an ag inspector
showed up and really, it was no big deal. the man who showed up later
to inspect our kennel panels, chain link, which had been outdoors in
boston was much more thorough and concerned in his search for hidden
lethal organisms on the fencing.

hermine

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.