IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

I.D.`ing the Anthurium from Jared
From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.01.04 at 12:51:57(18854)
Dear All,

Please DON`T take my suggestion a ''final'' solution.   I usually try to stay out of these discussions on I.D.`ing store-bought plants, but this one is interesting now that I have seen a photo.  It is not a ''birds nest" type, and is NOT in my opinion a pure species.  The up-turned posterior lobes of the leaves which create the impression of a ''cup"" are NOT like A. fausto., which has a HUGE, almost flat cordate leaf, VERY 'hard-textured'.  Steve will have photos on his site of a pure A. faustomir. 
I`d like to see a photo of an inflorescence on this (Jared`s) plant, as the bloom on a pure A. fausto. is large, and has a cup-shaped large spathe which spreads over the spadix like a roof, and a very short peduncle/stem.   Jared`s plant might exibit a different spathe/peduncle which may offer hints as to the plant`s possibly mixed parentage.

Julius

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at exoticrainforest.com> on 2009.01.05 at 01:40:51(18861)
Jared, I've been studying a highlymagnified copy of the the photo you posted of "whitelockii" and itappears there may be pubescence (hair) on the petioles. In a fewspecimens the petioles appear terete (round) but in others some appearto be canaliculate (C shaped). Can you verify this? And if possible,closeup photos of the upper and lower surfaces of the blade as well asthe roots and petioles would be of interest.

Thanks!

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: "Tom Croat" <Thomas.Croat at mobot.org> on 2009.01.05 at 16:16:22(18865)
Dear All:

I actually never saw Jared’simage. I only know that what I was once calling Anthurium whitelockii turnedout to be Anth. faustomirandae. Could someone send me this image that Jaredoriginally posted?

Tom

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.