IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Nancy Aroid Conference
From: Peter Boyce <phymatarum at googlemail.com> on 2009.07.15 at 10:15:05(19526)
Dear All,

Just returned from the Xth International Aroid Conference inNancy, and want to say how excellent it was.

Marc, Genevieve, and their team made it a conference toremember. Faultless organization, excellent presentations, extremely good food,plentiful lunchtime wine, and the excellent living collections at Nancycombined to make it a wonderful few days.

Peter

HTML

+More

From: "Famille FERRY" <jpcferry2 at wanadoo.fr> on 2009.07.15 at 17:49:55(19528)

Dear Peter ,

Thank you very much for your friendly message. I sincerely thank all those who came to Nancy. It was a great moment of encounter and with great emotion for me to meet for the first time all aroiders over the world . Albert install photos to share with members who have not been able to Nancy. But everyone was present in our hearts and especially our dear Julius.
Here is a photo with Dr. Croat and Dr. Bogner. It was for me very, very emotional.

Many thanks ,

Geneviève

HTML

+More

From: Albert M Huntington <amh at ieee.org> on 2009.07.16 at 08:00:12(19543)
Dear Everyone,

I too have just returned from the conference - it was a great event and w onderfully organized by Geneviève, Marc and their many helpers. We all h ad an excellent time, and it was a great experience to see so many old frie nds and meet so many new ones.

I have posted an album of pictures from the conference at http://www.aroi d.org/gallery/conference09/

I would like to apologize in advance that:
a) Not all the aroiders present were pictured - I did not get to everyone , and even fewer are actually captioned.
b) Some of the indoor photos were taken in VERY low light and are a littl e grainy/blurry when blown up.
c) I've undoubtedly spelt some names incorrectly, left some out, or gener ally offended by the tone of my captions - again please accept my apologies . I know I've left out various accents and titles, at the very least.

I have electronic copies of most of the presentations, which will be post ed in the members section of aroid.org soon. Conference attendees will als o have access to these slides. I will let you know when they are posted.

All the best,
--Albert

+More
From: "Christopher Rogers" <crogers at ecoanalysts.com> on 2009.07.16 at 16:19:21(19545)

As always, Albert, you take great pictures. I wish Icould have gone . . .

D.Christopher Rogers

HTML

+More

From: "Emily Colletti" <Emily.Colletti at mobot.org> on 2009.07.16 at 16:28:06(19546)
Thanks for sharing!!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com [mailto:aroid-l-bounces@gizmoworks.com ] On Behalf Of Albert M Huntington

+More
From: "Marek Argent" <abri1973 at wp.pl> on 2009.07.16 at 18:17:47(19548)
Hello:

A small correction:
"Anthuriums for decoration were kindly donated by Anthuria BV"
Anthura not Anthuria
http://www.anthura.nl/page/en/home

Marek

+More
From: Albert M Huntington <amh at ieee.org> on 2009.07.17 at 16:32:56(19561)
Folks,

Thanks for your corrections & thoughts on the pictures in the gallery. I did promise a lot of typos/etc, did I not?

I have also made available most of the presentations from the conference in PDF format, with the permission of the authors.

The url is http://www.aroid.org/conference09/

Although the index ( with pictures of presenters ) is available to anyone, only IAS members can view the slides using the same username and password as for the newsletter and other members pages ( see your last newsletter e-mail ). Conference attendees should also receive an e-mail from the organizers at some point with a working username and password.

Of particular interest to all aroiders not present at the conference would be an excellent ( and long ) history of the IAS and conferences by Tom Croat, Wilbert Hetterscheid's talk on Amorphophallus, and many presentations from botanical gardens on Aroid horticulture.

If you are not a member of the IAS and would like to join in order to access this content and much more, please consider joining online at http://www.aroid.org/society/joinias.php

If you ARE a current IAS member and need the latest username and password, were at the conference and would like access in advance of the general e-mail, or have corrections, please contact me privately at huntington@aroid.org

--Albert

HTML

+More

From: ExoticRainforest <Steve at ExoticRainforest.com> on 2009.07.17 at 17:59:14(19565)
Albert, thanks a bunch for thislink! I've corresponded with a bunch of these folks but it is verynice to be able to put a face with the communications. Pete Boyce andI traded quite a few emails last night and seeing his face for thefirst time was great! One day maybe I'll be able to make the trip tothe forum myself!

Steve Lucas

HTML

+More

From: Deni Bown <denibown at googlemail.com> on 2009.07.21 at 16:07:26(19582)
I would like to endorse Peter's comments on the Xth International Aroid Conference in France. Our hosts were so friendly and efficient, which made it such a relaxed, enjoyable few days, as well as such an extremely interesting event.

Since the last conference, in Malaysia in 2004, there have been many new developments in the family, including numerous new species and some new genera. The conference achieved exactly what any conference aims to achieve - an overview of the recent and on-going work, a pointer for future work and concerns, and an opportunity to make personal contact with others who are actively involved. And it was a truly international gathering, with scientists and horticulturists from many different countries - France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Switzerland, Netherlands, UK, USA, Malaysia, Vietnam, Phillippines, India, China, Russia, Czech Republic, Brazil, Mexico, Turkey, Canada. Not bad eh!

And those of us who hadn't been to Nancy before discovered a beautiful city with what must be Europe's finest plaza. There, in the palatial town hall, we were invited to a banquet by the Mayor - a champagne reception then a superb four-course dinner and wines in exemplary French style.

I should also mention the field trip to the glorious Vosges mountains, first to the Lac de Retournemer where we saw Calla palustris and ex-aroid Acorus calamus in the wild, then to a splendid lunch in an alpine inn with yet more excellent French wine and local cuisine, followed by a visit to Haut Chitelet Alpine Botanical Garden.

Congratulations to the organisers who hopefully have recovered from all the hard work and are now basking in the satisfaction of a job well done! I said it at the time but I'll say it again - sincere thanks to everyone who contributed their time, energy and expertise. It was an inspiring and memorable experience. I can't wait for the next!

Deni Bown

HTML

+More

From: "mossytrail" <mossytrail at hctc.com> on 2009.07.26 at 01:56:25(19586)
The more I hear about this, the more I wish I could be in
two places at once. I was at the one in Malaysia 2004; but
this time around, I just have too much to do for graduate
school. Downside: my Master's thesis project is not about
Aroids. But there is always the possibility I may end up
doing a Ph.D. later, and I can work with Aroids then. I
especially regret not getting to see the Calla palustris --
that is one I have been looking for.

Jason Hernandez

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.