IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Nymphaea/Cyrtosperma growing media suggestions...
From: <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2009.10.15 at 11:11:31(20182)
Dear John and Friends,

John, it certainly sounds like you have developed a very good method for growing Water Lilys (Nymphaeas) in the way you describe.
BUT---a word of caution to growers or ''wanna-be'' Aquatic Aroid growers, Aroids are not Water Lilys, so I caution on using this method until someone like John has experimented with trying to grow a plant of say his Cyrtosperma johnstonii OR the ''Gran Etang" Lake Montrichardia (John, and luck with collecting seed of this as yet??) in the submerged pot with the old pig manure.   Oh, the term ''old pig manure'' leaves doubt, HOW old and decomposed is the pig manure??
Most of the Aroids such as Urospatha, Montrichardia, most other species of Cyrtosperma, etc. are rare and irreplacable here in the USA, and I have lost several during my early experimenting growing period in conditions like John describes for his Nymphaeas!
John, try growing a Cyrtosperma in the pot as you describe and please report back to us in say a year or two on how it does!

Good Growing,

Julius

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2009.10.16 at 15:16:28(20185)
Dear Jules,

Goodto hear you sounding so frisky.

I’mtruthfully mystified by all this, as I grow Montrichardia like a weed insubmerged pots of topsoil in my 18 inch deep pond.

Actually the method Idescribed for Nymphaeas was not meant to be taken as a recommendation forgrowing aroids; just nymphaeas.

Although, it would notsurprise me one bit if my aroids other than Montrichardia did well with thismethod. I have also grown Lhasia in submerged tubs of soil. It took overthe pond to such an extent that I hauled it all out. (And is it everprickly !)

I’ll try aCyrtosperma, as you say. The reason I took the effin Cyrtosperma out ofthe pond is because it would too rapidly grow too enormous and top heavy andblow over in the pond.

By old and well-rottedI mean smelling not like any kind of crap at all, but like leafmould. Lovely stuff !

John.

HTML

+More

From: "John Criswick" <criswick at spiceisle.com> on 2009.10.17 at 20:36:10(20188)

Dear Julius,

I recentlyplanted this short Cyperus sp. in a cat litter tray of animal manure andtopsoil. In about two weeks it can be clearly seen that the Cyperus is sendingout roots ON TOP OF the medium, but under the surface of the water. It wouldbe interesting to know if a similar spreading of roots is occurring under thesurface of the medium.

John.

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.