IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Re: [Aroid-l] Amorphophallus pollen request
From: Corey W <cewickliffe at gmail.com> on 2015.08.17 at 20:59:09(23462)
Very interesting to note, given that there are groups of pollen and seeds who have the "if it dries it dies" issue. Things like these are important to note for various species since in some cases dried pollen may perform better, and also how to store "humid" pollen (or seeds!) for long periods. It never ceases to amaze me that what won't work at "regular" freezer temperatures (due to ice crystals forming and fracturing cells maybe??) may work at -80. -80 is also significantly cheaper (and safer) to work with than liquid nitrogen!

Kinda makes me wonder if that would work with the seeds too? Were the pollen samples ever tested for (length of) viability at other temperatures? Forgive me if there are good references about this already, my attempts to look into the subject found little to no information on tropical species that can't be dried other than "use fresh".

Best, Corey

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.