IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Aroid Cook Book
From: "ron iles" <roniles at eircom.net> on 2004.08.04 at 08:24:36(11921)
Woodchuck Jambalaya @ la Steve, Ground Hog with Red Pepper Sauce by Victor -
Mouth watering ! Oh & eat with a good Chianti & buy yer own smelly veggies
from the lil ole IAS?

Hannibal

From: Betsy Feuerstein <ecuador at midsouth.rr.com> on 2004.08.04 at 15:38:38(11922)
Hannibal,

Love them and let them go. They are on their path and you simply are an
interloper they can not tolerate. Me too! We have the choice to let them
go by or to disrupt their way of thinking and upset not only thier
applecart, but our own. It is our lesson to let go and move on sending
them love and light along the way. Make it easy on yourself....... why
stay upset when there is so much to be happy about and so much to dream
about with happiness in the picture.

And so it is this day of the summer of 2004.....

Betsy

+More
From: "Steve Ritchey" <sritchey at shreve.net> on 2004.08.04 at 17:04:50(11923)
My Dear Hannibal,
A gourmand like you should know that Woodchuck Jambalaya is best served with
a case of ice cold beer- NOT Chianti- (Yucko)

+More
From: "ron iles" <roniles at eircom.net> on 2004.08.05 at 02:00:57(11924)
Ssssssss..s....Steve

A very warm beer would go down very nicely thank you. Otherwise this muzzled
gourmet concedes & bows out tactically. Watch this arospace......
c.a.r.e.f.u.l.l.y.

+More
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.08.05 at 10:05:09(11927)
>From: "ron iles"
>Reply-To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>To:
>Subject: [aroid-l] Aroid Cook Book
>Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 09:24:36 +0100
>

Dear HanniRon and Friends,
My last word on this subject, but we must learn tollerate the eating habits of different cultures, what is wonderful on our plates is REALLY abhorant to others, try ordering a porkchop or ham sandwich in Israel or Iran, or even a cheese-burger with a glass of milk in some areas of NY.
When living in Ecuador we were horrified to learn and witness that guinea pig (yes, our cute little child-hood pet!) was the national dish, they did NOT look 'pretty' b-b-q`d on a shish-k-bab, or in a styrofoam pack covered in plastic-wrap (head and all!) at the local grocery, but we had to become accostomed to this, and when I did manage to try eating one at a road-side stand it was GOOD. The middle class of England (and Ireland?) made it through WW 2 on wild-caught rabbits (woodchuck and musk-rats first cousins), and in Trinidad THE most expensive meats are Paca ( a large, nocturnal tail-less fruit eating rodent), agouti, and armadillo. Many 'country folk' (and some city folk too!) both in the N and S here in the USA still hunt and eat squirrel. My Great-grand and Grandparents 'fresh-landed' on Trinidad from France and Germany were said to have savored the deep-fried larvae of the large palm weevil (yes, an insect grub!) which t!
he native 'Indians' still eat in E. Ecuador and other Amazonian cultures. Your reference to 'smelly veggies' I find puzzling, ask any IAS member about the aroids that have been prepared and served to our members at several functions in Miami and here in WPB.
Come join us in Sep. at OUR IAS show and sale in Miami and try some! No woodchucks, muskrats, etc. can be promised.
Julius

+More
From: elizabeth at begoniac.com on 2004.08.05 at 21:55:39(11929)
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 10:05:09 +0000, "Julius Boos" wrote:

Your reference to 'smelly veggies' I find puzzling, ask any IAS member
about the aroids that have been prepared and served to our members at
several functions in Miami and here in WPB.

Ask me! Julius did a program on edible aroids for the Begonia Society last
year, and I'm still dreaming about the delicious food he prepared for us.
Julius, is there a restaurant that serves those dishes prepared as well as
yours? I've got a serious jones for calaloo! Oh, and the chubas with
chicken over rice. Mmmmmm!

Elizabeth

From: piaba <piabinha at yahoo.com> on 2004.08.06 at 14:49:52(11930)
> yours? I've got a serious jones for calaloo! Oh,
> and the chubas with
> chicken over rice. Mmmmmm!

what's chubas??????

+More
From: elizabeth at begoniac.com on 2004.08.06 at 15:44:17(11932)
Chubas are aroid tubers. I think Julius used xanthosoma in that dish.
He'll correct me if I'm wrong.

Elizabeth

+More
From: "Steve Ritchey" <sritchey at shreve.net> on 2004.08.06 at 15:48:50(11933)
Um? Does this mean I should be making calaloo with shredded taro leaves?, or
something other than Malabar spinach? If so, is there a preferred variety
for calaloo? Thanks
+More
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.08.06 at 22:55:47(11937)
>From: elizabeth@begoniac.com
>To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>Subject: Re: [aroid-l] Aroid Cook Book
>Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 11:44:17 -0400 (EDT)
>

Dear Elizabeth and Friends,
'Chubas' is a new word for me, Elizabeth---this veggie is labled as 'malanga' at Publix and W/Dixie here in Florida, cents a pound!! Do you know where the word 'chubas' is used or originates?? I LOVE the word!!
The curried Chicken was done using Xanthosoma cf. sagittifolia (in place of potatoes), Dr. Goncalves says he suspects this is actually X. robustum.
>Chubas are aroid tubers. I think Julius used xanthosoma in that dish.
The Best,
Julius

+More
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.08.06 at 23:59:27(11938)
>From: "Steve Ritchey"
>To:
>Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 10:48:50 -0500
>

Dear Steve and Friends,
Ah, a breath of fresh air, someone who knows the word 'calaloo' and the fact that the word is used for several plant species! OK, here we go---the word 'calaloo' as best we can trace it, originates as an Amerindian word from Brazil meaning 'a leafy veggie', Dr. Goncalves informed me it is probably used for an amaranth sp., probably the same species of amaranth sold as 'Jamaican spinach' here in S. Florida (what is your 'malabar spinach', Steve, maybe this????) and called 'pig weed' in Cen Florida, this plant is called 'chori badghi' in Trinidad, 'badghi' being a word from India/Pakistan that seems to mean 'spinach', there are MANY different types of 'badghis' on Trinidad, W.I. The Jamaicans make THEIR 'calaloo' using this self-same amaranth, the Haitians use the word 'calaloo' for okras, but on TRINIDAD, calaloo is made by cooking the young, unfurled leaves of 'dasheen', a var. of Colocasia esculenta, cooked w/ seasonings, chopped !
okra, cleaned land crabs (since these were not available, I substituted bits of shrimp), and a balls of mushed then cooked plantains! Trinidadian calaloo can be made w/ other vars. of taro leaves, but I recomend REALLY cooking them for a long time, as I do not know what the 'itch factor' may be on some of the other vars. of taro BESIDES the T`dadian 'dasheen' which seems to have a low 'itch factor'. Dr. Goncalves told me that In Brazil they cut the whole 'top' off Xanthosoma sp. plants and make a wonderful dish with it, we do NOT eat Xanthosoma (our 'tannia') leaves in Trinidad. By the way, Americans I`ve 'turned on' to 'Jamaican spinach' bought here in WPB, Florida, tell me it is FANTANTIC, they prefered it to their mustard and collared and turnip greens they were accostomed to.
Since there seems to be some sort of recent interest in EATING aroids, maybe our newsletter might be interested in pulling up some back-issues of the IAS newsletters and re-publishing some of the recipies that I wrote on cooking aroids?? They were published back several years ago.
Aroids are becomming more and more available as food items in 'regular' grocery stores, at least in Florida! I am presently growing the 'yellow'-fleshed malanga/yautia/Xanthosoma sp., what a beautiful species, I hope to flower it as its leaves look SO different to the plants that grow from the several vars. of grocery-bought white-fleshed 'malangas'/Xanthosomas.
Elizabeth, I understand ther is a recently opened Trinidadian resturant in Ft Laud. ( ? ) that MAYBE serves a very few of the dishes, it is said to be expensive and I have NOT tried it as yet, my nephew keeps threatening to take me there!
Enough!
Good Growing AND eating!
Julius

+More
From: "Eduardo Goncalves" <edggon at hotmail.com> on 2004.08.08 at 01:15:50(11943)
Dear Julius,

Just to add a few comments. Actually, the name calaloo (or calalu,
kalalou, calalou, calulu, caruru...) has a very obscure origin. People in
Africa say it is an Arawak name meaning "green". I have never seen this
translation from someone in Carib, so I am somewhat suspicious. It is so
widely known in west Africa (and has so many names) and east Brazil (Bahia
State) that I am really convinced it is based in an African food, probably
made of ockra. In Brazil and in part of Africa, it is still made with this
plant cooked with fish, shrimp and seasonings. In Caribbean countries, ockra
was substituted by Xanthosoma or Colocasia leaves, as well as Amaranthus sp.
In Brazil, besides ockras, leaves of Xanthosoma sagittifolium (named locally
as efó, another African name) are used for the "caruru". It seems that
African people when arrived in America, looked for a local plant as a
substitute for ockra and the American Xanthosma (and the introduced
Colocasia in a lesser extent) was chosen. Amaranthus was a third option. The
taste for somewhat "gelly" (it is not the exact texture) food is probably
African (like Gumbo and many other African foods). That ´s why the use of
Xanthosoma leaves is stronger where Africans have established, whereas
native people preffered to use tubers. Anyhow, all this confusion proves
that it is really hard to trace the origins or any "modern" food. It is even
possible that the calaloo was invented when a creative cooker traveled in
ship from Caribbean Islands to Brazil or West Africa with a few decaying
leaves of Xanthosoma, old ockras and fresh seafood, and that was the last
decent meal for many captive slaves.

Very best
wishes,

Eduardo.

+More
From: "Steve Ritchey" <sritchey at shreve.net> on 2004.08.08 at 16:50:17(11944)
Thanks for the full lowdown Julius-

Malabar spinach is Basella rubra, a large tropical vine with spinach- like leaves- guessing by the common name, it must be from India. It will tolerate heavy soils and occaisional flooding better than Amaranth. You just cut the young terminals for greens and let it keep growing til frost. I use the Basella with readilly available Gulf stone crabs; will have to try the plaintain balls & dasheen that grows like a weed in my drainage ditches. Turnip & mustard are the two most common greens grown here, but they become so bitter when grown in hot weather that people drench them with the same red pepper sauce prescribed for the unlucky woodchuck.

Xanthosomas are sold as malangas in supermarkets here, too, but as far as I know, they're always used as ornamental foundation plants. I've never known anyone to cook and eat them. This is rice country.

Interesting comments from Dr. Goncalves- Okra is a summer staple here, but when people say Gumbo they mean our ultimate comfort food, Louisiana style boullabaise highly seasoned with filet gumbo ( powdered sassafrass root) - it never has any okra in it. On the other hand, the local farmers refer to our sticky clay soil as 'gumbo'.

!

Enjoy your Sunday
Steve

+More
From: elizabeth at begoniac.com on 2004.08.12 at 02:38:24(11954)
On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:55:47 +0000, "Julius Boos" wrote:

Do you know where the word 'chubas' is used or originates??

Julius,
That's what it sounds like when you say "tubers". For years I thought you
were calling them chubas. Too funny!

Elizabeth

From: Aroideae at aol.com on 2004.08.12 at 12:43:16(11955)
that is hilarious!! i know julius and his delightful accent and you're
absolutely right. he does say "chubas"!

lynn

+More
From: "Julius Boos" <ju-bo at msn.com> on 2004.08.12 at 23:52:14(11957)
>From: Aroideae@aol.com
>To: aroid-l@lists.ncsu.edu
>Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 08:43:16 EDT
>

Alll of you are nuts! You mean to tell me you can`t hear my 'tu' when I say tubers???? 'Chubas" indeed! Crazy people!! :--)>
Julius

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.