IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

St. Paul tiny titan
From: myeakel21 at earthlink.net (m yeakel-twum) on 2008.04.08 at 03:12:09(17320)
Hello All!
I am new to this list and happened to see the reference to the little titan blooming in St. Paul, MN. I am the keeper of that plant and hope you are all able to view the webcam and blog about this little bloom. www.comozooconservatory.org/cons/gardenblog.shtml
We are anticipating the inflorescence to open this week. We have had some dark weather the last couple of days and growth has slowed down. The spathe is incomplete and only covers about half of the spadix. So the flowers are visible at all times. It is very tiny---it only measured 28" tall today! The corm weighs 25 pounds and the plant is from a 1993 seed lot that was planted at Gustavus Adolphus College in St.Peter,MN. We have had the plant for almost 3 years.
The IT folks are working on the problems with the website at this time. I noticed that the webcam was not showing a live picture this afternoon. We are learning alot from this experience!
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Margaret Yeakel-Twum

+More
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.04.08 at 10:00:27(17327)
> Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2008 22:12:09 -0500
> Subject: [Aroid-l] St. Paul tiny titan

Hello Margaret,

Welcome to aroid-L!

+More
From: honeybunny442 at yahoo.com (Susan B) on 2008.04.08 at 21:56:28(17335)

I remember that tiny titan, saved a photo somewhere. The caretaker's name was Kathy, wasn't it? Was it Kathy Upton???

Ha ha! found the photo- sorry for any copyright stealing!!! Yes, it was Kathy Upton- what a memory! The old gal STILL HAS IT!!!!!

Susan

+More
From: drplantman at gmail.com (Jeremy P) on 2008.04.08 at 22:19:40(17336)
Mention of a Titan archive, and Dr. Mo Fayyaz* *in particular, jogged my
memory and lo and behold it was still floating around in my email archives.
I suspect a more fleshed out documentation of Titan flowerings would be very
well received by fans of this great sp. worldwide...

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/Titan_Arum_Archive/Archive_images/List_of_Data.html#anchor240070

I think there was another flowering @ RBG Sydney earlier this year...
Gareth, are you still lurking here and can confirm or deny that? :)

Enjoy,

Jeremy

+More
From: honeybunny442 at yahoo.com (Susan B) on 2008.04.09 at 15:02:02(17344)
Thanks Jeremy, that was great- and brought back memories.
I flew down to Florida in 2001 to see my first flowering Titan- the one and only Mr. Stinky. To my surprise a month later one bloomed in Madison- only about 80 miles (~130km) from me. LOL could have saved the airfare!
Susan

+More
From: Thomas.Croat at mobot.org (Tom Croat) on 2008.04.09 at 15:08:28(17345)
Dear Susan:

Thanks for sending that picture of Kathy Upton. I had never
seen it. She worked for me for a number of years and was a spectacular
grower and really loved aroids.

Tom

+More
From: ku5 at yahoo.com (KATHY UPTON) on 2008.04.09 at 22:29:43(17352)
Hi,
Yes, I'm here! The tuber that bloomed when it was 3 years old hasn't bloomed again, but is healthy. A sibling from the same seed batch bloomed in 2001, both at University of Missouri-St.Louis, (although Julius is correct remembering how I took the little one home one evening so I wouldn't miss it opening, not wanting to spend the night at work. And it really sent its odor throughout my whole house at 3 AM! ). Since then there have been only leaves produced, proving how unpredictable the species can be. Would it be quite as unique and interesting if it bloomed like clockwork?! Jim Symon, if only you could be around now to see all the fun and excitement you created!
-Kathy Upton

+More
From: honeybunny442 at yahoo.com (Susan B) on 2008.04.09 at 23:13:23(17353)
Dear Tom, Nice to hear from you! I have to confess I "stole" that photo from somewhere, either a web site or a posting to ARoid-L. I used to collect photos from all the bloomings until they became almost common.
Oops, except for at MOBOT. (hee hee, just kidding!)
Susan

+More
From: Thomas.Croat at mobot.org (Tom Croat) on 2008.04.10 at 00:30:42(17354)
Bernhard:

I don't know if Kathy is listening or not but I do know that
she has a plant that she thinks can flower because we talked recently
about having a show here at the Garden if it were to flower.

Tom

+More
From: Thomas.Croat at mobot.org (Tom Croat) on 2008.04.10 at 02:27:30(17357)
Hey Susan:

Don't rub it in! Believe me I have been deeply embarrassed
by our inability to flower this beast!

Tom

+More
From: ju-bo at msn.com (ju-bo at msn.com) on 2008.04.10 at 09:17:38(17361)
> Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 15:29:43 -0700
> From: ku5 at yahoo.com
> To: aroid-l at gizmoworks.com
> Subject: Re: [Aroid-l] St. Paul tiny titan

Dear Kathy and All,

Kathy, hello! Good to hear your ''voice again!
I thought I had a memory of the small, dwarfed and somewhat deformed bloom, and thought it was the first blooming of Jim`s seed. Believe it or not, I do NOT recall what you and Susan report as the earlier blooming, the one in the photo with you kindly posted by Susan!
This information really is for Margret, the grower of the present tiny bloom under discussion, as she just might be interested in the sequence of the earlier bloomings, most from Jim Symon`s seeds! He would have been so very thrilled. He really made a BIG difference in the general public`s perception and interest in ALL plants. A great contribution which benifited all of us.

Julius

+More
From: ku5 at yahoo.com (KATHY UPTON) on 2008.04.10 at 17:22:21(17368)
Bernhard and Julius,
The photo that Susan had is from 2001 and was a more "normal" flowering than the little one in 1998. The little one had a powerful stench and someone suggested that a tiny one might need to have a giant smell to accomplish its goal, but for whatever reason it smelled like a combination of sauerkraut, a rotting animal, and trash sitting outside in a dumpster in the sun that had been there a week. On the night that it opened at my house, we were sleeping with the attic fan on, and the smell carried right upstairs to us. The smell given off by the 2001 inflorescence was disappointing compared to that. You asked about the size of them now. The largest one from that seed batch has a leaf about 10 feet tall, and 25 pounds. The 2 that bloomed are near that size. I haven't always had the space available that they deserve and haven't always been able to move them up into the large pot sizes they would really love over the years, so actually they are probably small
compared to those at other institutions that received the same seed. But they are healthy and have formed offsets, too, at times when I let one occasionally get too crowded in its pot.
Cheers,
Kathy

+More
Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.