IAS Aroid Quasi Forum

About Aroid-L
 This is a continuously updated archive of the Aroid-L mailing list in a forum format - not an actual Forum. If you want to post, you will still need to register for the Aroid-L mailing list and send your postings by e-mail for moderation in the normal way.

Gbberellic acid and BIG OOPS!!
From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2009.08.02 at 23:10:01(19619)
About what I said below. I said to pour a 100-150 ppm solution at the base of the plant but I also said NOT TO LET GA3 COME IN CONTACT WITH ROOTS. What I meant to say was to use a solution of Indole Acetic Acid at 100-150 ppm not ga3.

Again, GA3 contact with roots, rhizomes, and tubers is bad bad bad for all plants.

I refuse to participate in the in the recession.

HTML

+More

From: Susan B <honeybunny442 at yahoo.com> on 2009.08.04 at 14:15:38(19626)
Check out #3, Tuber treatments for enhanced flowering. They seem to disagree??

http://www.pacificcallas.com/cutflowerguidelines.htm#cutflower3

--- On Sun, 8/2/09, E.Vincent Morano wrote:

HTML

+More

From: "E.Vincent Morano" <ironious2 at yahoo.com> on 2009.08.04 at 19:20:39(19628)
You want to try it and risk killing your plants then by all means do it but be sure to post result. They talk about GA4+7 and BA (benzyladenine) and GA3 and also GA3 alone. Mixing hormones may be safer/better. Sure that website says that it will increase flowers but what they dont mention is that at the end of the growing season, your calla lily will probably not have formed much of a bulb or may just die. This is good for them anyway because if your plant dies at the end of the season the you come back and buy more. Same thing if you are left with a small bulb and your plant is small the next season, you'll want a healthy plant and buy a new one. Just because you can make a plant do something, doesnt mean that is is the best choice for the plant.

I suppose that if for the sake of research you need a flower then sure, who cares if your plant is stunted or dies, you got your flower. But just dont forget I told yah so. :-)

It seems reasonable that mixing hormones will work. Ive mixed hormones and achieved outstanding results. But I promise you, GA3 alone can be very bad poured into the soil.

I also know all plants are different but be that as it may, GA3 on tuber/roots/rhizomes Will retard and kill them 99% of the time. However Im sure there are some odd ball plants out there that defy the norm. You may be able to force the tubers with ga3 however you will have more success with ethylene. I was able to force nearly all my amorphophallus with ethylene. However, I had a problem with my green house and could not keep them warm so some of them died or went back to sleep. Next season, this problem will have been solved. Using GA3, 6-BA, Indole acetic acid (IAA) and Triacontanol all together in a solution with proper fertilization, Ive been able to extract 3-7 years worth of growth in a single season from many different plants. Succulents preform very well as do trees. While Ive achieved superior tuber growth with Indole acetic acid (IAA) and even Indole Butyric Acid. How ever IAA Is my favorite auxin to use as it is the most active auxin out of all of the auxins. IBA is good for encouraging fine root growth and root growth on cuttings. While Indole acetic acid (IAA) encourages large root growth and a tuber is basically a large root .

Interestingly, Triacontanol can cause your flowers to grow very large. But it can also cause them to mutate so be prepared.

I refuse to participate in the in the recession.

HTML

+More

From: Susan B <honeybunny442 at yahoo.com> on 2009.08.05 at 17:23:27(19637)
Thanks for the info. It looks like you've been doing a lot of research/experimentation.

I do have to say I've purchased bulbs from the grower I mentioned (Pacific Callas) for many years, and have not have trouble with the bulbs. No dying of the tubers after flowering. Occasionally I get a "mutant" flower, but that happens even without hormonal treatment.

PC or Golden State bulbs are the biggest Zantedeschia grower and seller in the US, I don't think they'd stay in business if their bulbs/tubers died at the end of every growing season.

My knowledge comes from the fact that I've been growing and collecting Zants for many years.

Zantedeschia do need good soil, they aren't happy growing in peat alone. Florist pots are probably too small for the successful growing of a plant. Supposedly Z can be grown in a 6 inch pot but I've found they aren't happy in anything under a gallon size. They also like their bulbs and roots cool, while the foliage likes the sun. This is not easy to do with a potted plant. If the soil in the pot gets too hot, the plant will either not grow at all, or it may get stressed and develop soft rot/Erwinia.

HTML

+More

From: "Sherry Gates" <TheTropix at msn.com> on 2009.08.05 at 19:06:24(19641)
Hi all,

I don't know anything at all about any of these chemicals, but it made me wonder... what effect might any/all of these chemicals have on someone (or their future children...yikes!) if they were regularly exposed to them, whether inhaled (fumes I suppose?) or accidentally splashed on their skin or their clothes? Could any of these chemicals cause possible genetic problems if a child was concieved after one or both parents had been previously exposed? I'm honestly asking, I have no idea.

Meanwhile, I'm sticking to rabbit poo!!! lol I don't get several years' growth in a season, but they're happy.

Praying for rain in Texas,

Sherry

HTML

+More

Note: this is a very old post, so no reply function is available.